Home Storage General Discussion

2 Disk Array with RAID 1

I have set up a RAID 1 volume using an Intel chipset/firmware controller. If one disk fails due to a mechanical issue or if a single disk shows up as member disk offline the other will show as degraded which can then be recovered by rebuilding or backing up to a non RAID hdd. 

I also have an external backup of the raid volume as well and it certainty worked out well. Without thinking a whole lot about it I ran a virus scan using bookable media which must not have known how to mount the disk (didn't scan that drive) because afterwords both discs showed up as non member disks. Seems to me that all the data must still be on them it must have just corrupted the raid tables. Since there was an up to date backup I just Deleted the RAID array entirely and started from scratch. Is there any way to recover data from something like this other than using third party tools? Basically is there any way to delete all raid information and get a single drive to act like an independent disk once again. 

So this got me wondering what would happen to the drives in a few scenarios similar to above. What if the bios got flashed but the Intel option ROM (The bios configuration) version stayed the same. Would all the data for raid tables be held on the drive or is there actual data relating to the array on the ROM? If just the drives hold the data would they be shown as member disks as long as it was flashed with the same version? I ask more because I don't want a dead CMOS battery or some other trivial thing to be the reason why disks drop out. If you can think of any other points of failure in RAID 1 I would also like to hear them. 

Comments

• Did you try Windows (I guess that's your system) built-in restore function?