My use of Backupper started about 8 months
ago, in January, on my Windows 10 system, with my main M.2 nvme SSD 500GB Samsung
970 EVO drive being backed up to an identical (but USB connected) external
drive, using Backupper’s Disk Backup.
When Win 10 2004 came out several months ago, my system was upgraded to
that, and continues to be current.
Things worked pretty good at first (incremental backup with incremental
scheme), with daily backups done while I was sleeping … as was my computer) but
sometimes backups were skipped. Occasionally, they would start again days
later, sometimes my re-starting would get things started again, but often it
was me re-installing Backupper was needed to get things going again.
I switched to System Backup, but that didn’t help. I thought things worked better though, if I
shut down my browser and email system when I finished each night. I still got lots of failures with “nothing”
running in the background during sleep mode though.
Later, I found that deleting the (accumulating!) back up
scheduling stuff found in windows explorer (also known as file explorer) … ([Windows] E key) ->
This PC -> “Manage” option at the top -> System Tools/Task
Scheduler/Task Scheduler Library … was part of the necessary cleanup. Still no success though.
I never did generate a blue screen backing up (I’ve seen
them years ago, for other reasons, in my past), but I did generate some “bluescreen”
events in some error logs, that matched with my system crashes that occurred during
the backup attempt, and left me with a password required Windows start in the
Recently I upgraded to version 6.0.0 (the current Backupper
version), but again no help. I then
installed the 3 recommended replacement drivers and something new happened … on
the next morning’s crash … I couldn’t get past the “frozen” desk top showing a
non-progressing backup attempt in progress, with a “busy” spinner
spinning. No response from Esc, Delete,
Ctrl-Alt-Delete, or any other rational approach except holding down my computer’s
physical power button for 5 to 10 seconds, to shut down everything. The subsequent boot was successful, but
without a backup.
I then put all the pieces together the best that I could. It works for some people, and not for others
was my best clue so I looked for differences, and the only thing that I came up
with was that I was using System backup, and some that were having success said
that they were using Disk backup. It
wasn’t much, but it was something, so I switched back to Disk Backup (still
using the 3 replacement drivers), and so far things are working fine.
Nothing for sure yet, because it’s only been 3 successes in
a row for an overnight backup, but one more will put me in an “unusually long”
win streak (I’ll let you know right away if I have a failure).
Unfortunately, there is one other thing that happened on the
day that I switched to Disk Backup, and that is that my Windows 10 system
automatically installed a new replacement driver for my Samsung SSD drives on
the same day (Oct 7, 2020). If I do see
success, it might be because of the Samsung Drivers. If anyone is using Samsung SSD’s is now
seeing an improvement in backup completions, let us know.
If my stuff starts failing again, at least we have another
story to build on, to try and pin down where the problem lives.
As for BSOD problem during
backup, please download the new
drivers: ambakdrv.sys, ammntdrv.sys, amwrtdrv.sys from the link. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sYFjaeNoaIe2RKFqsDWjdBONvjlftF8z
We will be replacing the 3
drivers (same names) that were installed in C:\Windows\System32 when Backupper
was last updated, with the new ones … here is how:
Generally, the ambakdrv.sys file can
be replaced directly, so go ahead with this.
For the other two drivers, we must first stop them
running, then re-start them after being replaced. In Windows, do this by searching for CMD (in the search area beside the “start button”), then select Run as
Administrator from the presented Command Prompt app,
At the App's bottom line ( its "prompt")
type and then enter: net stop ammntdrv
then type and then enter: net stop amwrtdrv
Assuming replies indicating
then copy the ammntdrv.sys
and amwrtdrv.sys to replace those two installed drivers, This is done back in your normal windows world (not in the Administrator Command Prompt screen)
then back at the command prompt again:
type and then enter: net start ammntdrv
then type and then enter: net start amwrtdrv