Home Storage General Discussion

SSD can’t be formatted and can’t be loaded in disk management

Having several issues with this 1tb seagate drive. It is connected  to a USB 3.0 slot and I have tried a couple different cords with no change.

When connecting the drive I get a popup saying "You need to format this disk blah blah". If I do try to format(which I DO NOT want to do) it tells me I cant. The drive shows under mycomputer  as "Local Disk" but with no data information listed under it. Also if I try to right click on the drive, My Computer screen lags for a couple minutes until the drive just goes away.

Usually after the initial "you need to format" message and the lag, its as if the drive doesnt exist.. Nothing under Device Manager, nothing under Disk Management . Usually after plugging it in, Disk Management screen lags for a bit just as My Computer does if I try to right click or access the drive.

The light on the drive is on and the drive does appear to be spinning.

Ive tried changing the drive letter (yesterday it actually displayed in Drive Manager  for a couple seconds which was just enough time to change the drive letter.

Have also tried running chdsk and when the drive displays long enough, Ive loaded the Partition Find and Mount program, selected drive and hit scan.. but nothing ever comes of it. 

Comments

• Hi ladyia,

Have you tried to plug the external drive in another system?

Sounds like possibly a driver error with your enclosure, or a disk failure in the near future.

Can you remove the SSD from the enclosure and connect it to your system?

• Some drives also required more power than a single USB port can deliver.  They often come with cords that have 2 USB plugs for the PC or external power header for an AC to DC power inverter. 

• I hadn't plugged the drive out from its enclosure, but I have after your (@bucktiall) advice and it can be formatted, accessed, etc. Worrying about my data on it, I decided to make a backup of them with backupper to another drive.

Thank both of you, bucktiall and darylsonnier.