Home Storage General Discussion

How to clone a hard disk with bad sectors?

Hi, 

My problem should be fairly common, but did not find it searching the forums. 

My laptop (Dell XPS1530/ 220GB WD Hard Disk) HDD is failing, in that everytime chkdsk reports new bad sectors. It is still operational in that the machine still boots, but is showing increasing errors trying to read files, so I know it is time to change the HDD. I have taken a data backup (using Windows explorer, not some proprietory software) but would ideally like to clone the HDD (preferably onto a larger HDD) in view of the large number of installed programs, which I'm loathe to reinstall and setup.  

Tried cloning using the free versions of both your software and Acronis True Image (freeware from the WD site). In both cases choked and aborted on reaching the first bad sector. 

Given the failing nature of the HDD, experimentation is really not an option. So some guidance on how to proceed will be hugely appreciated. 

Regards 

Sutripta 

Comments

• Hi Sutripta,

You can try Disk Backup, then restore the backup image file on the larger hard drive. 

Disk Backup tutorial: http://www.backup-utility.com/features/disk-backup.html

Disk Restore tutorial: http://www.backup-utility.com/features/disk-restore.html

• Hi, 

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

So you are suggesting I use the Backup optionrather than the Clone option? Which of these:- System Backup or Disk Backup or Partition Backup?  Do I have to set some options so that bad sectors are ignored? (I know files using these bad sectors will be lost.) 

Last time I had chosen the Clone function, and it stopped on reaching the first bad sector. All options used were factory defaults. 

Once again, to reiterate, given the failing nature of the drive, In don't want to experiment with the drive on and degrading all the time. 

One factor which I forgot to mention was that last time the failing drive was the system drive, and internal to the laptop. The destination drive was a internal laptop drive connected to a USB caddy. If it helps, I can take out the internal drive and put it in another USB caddy, and run the program on another machine. 

Regards 

Sutripta 

• Sutripta,

There are a few options that you can try.  First run chkdsk or another disk correction program to attempt to recover data from and mark the bad sectors.  Most any backup software will need this step done first.

Another option that you can try, and this is definitely not standard, is remove the hard drive from the computer, put it in an airtight bag then put it in the freezer.  Do this in a low to no humidity environment to avoid condensation.  In fact, if you have any kind of dessicant or even some dry rice to put in the bag with it that will help prevent condensation forming on the drive.

After it's been in there for about an hour or more attempt to clone it or take an image.  The reason for this is that the ferro-magnetic properties of the disk platters are stronger when cold.  For the first little bit of time prior to the drive warming back up, slighly damaged (as in not totally destroyed) sectors have a chance of being read properly.  Note that this will only work once, and only if done properly.  If there is enough humidity to begin condensating on the drive it stands the risk of the control board short circuiting, so if you even attempt this be very careful.

Also, please note that the moderators on this forum are volunteers and not employees of Aomei. 

• Hello Sutripta,

You may also try to check the bad sector partition by partition with the help of AOMEI Partition Assistant.

• Hi, 

Once again thanks for the interest and the replies. 

@abc: Went through the link you gave. Thanks. If I'm not mistaken, it seems PA uses the Windows chkdsk program. In that case is one getting anything extra by running it through PA, rather than on its own (at startup)? 

@darlysonnier: Thanks for the very interesting deep freeze solution, but I think I'll keep it as the very last option. 

Actually I'm quite OK with loosing a few bad sectors (and of course the files these are associated with). All I want is that the cloning/ backup program not choke on a bad sector. 

Ideal would be an option where the program ignores bad sectors and continues. And at the end generates a log which reports which sectors were bad, and the files associated with these sectors. That way one can then manually tackle those problematic files, perhaps by reinstalling the relevant programs. 

Any such options? 

Regards 

Sutripta 

• Sutripta,

To answer the questions, running chkdsk through another interface doesn't make it do anything it doesn't do already.  Also, I don't have a drive with bad sectors to test with.  Have you tried running chkdsk to mark the bad sectors before trying to make an image or clone?

• Ran chkdsk twice. Each time it gave (new) errors. 

The disk is going bad. So don't want to run chkdsk (or anything else which writes to the disk). Just one shot at cloning. 

Regards 

Sutripta  

• Checkdisk, in your case should be run with the /f or /r switch (/r covers everything). If this is the partition containing the OS, chkdsk /r will not run until a reboot as it can't check the OS partition while it is in use.

It should be run from a command prompt. You may need to open CMD as an Admin user (right click on Comman Tool off the Start Menu and select 'Run as Admin) - then type in chkdsk /r

You will then be told it will run at next boot time.

As others here have mentioned, you should make a complete disk image and restore that to the new drive. This way the faulty sectors will not be carried across to the new drive.

• Hi, 

Thanks to everyone for their interest, time, and support. However it looks like right now Aomeitech can't really do what I want. So going to try ddrescue on a friends linux box. Wish me luck! 

Regards 

Sutripta