Home AOMEI Products Support

Cloned Windows to SSD, but not booting?

edited September 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hi guys,

I have a 256 GB Transcend MTS600 M.2 NGFF SSD. Along with this, I'm using a USB 3.0 SSD enclosure from MyDigitalSSD to allow me to swap things out and have a portable drive (and because my laptop doesn't have a port for SSDs, despite being relatively new and expensive).

I managed to clone Windows 8.1 to the SSD with AOMEI Partition Assistant. Worked great. 

In order to get the USB adapter to be recognized by the BIOS boot manager, I had to disable UEFI/enable legacy support, no problem. Now that I can get the device recognized, I'm good to go, right? Nope. When I select the device, all I get is a black screen with a flashing underscore (basically a non-usable terminal screen).

What have I done wrong? Do I need to wipe my other drive, disable it, what...? I simply do not understand why this does not work. The SSD is formatted as a primary drive in NTFS (MBR), and the HDD is formatted in NTFS as a primary drive as well (GPT).

Computer is an HP Envy 17t-k000 laptop with an i7 4510U, GTX 850, and a Hitachi 1 TB hard drive.

Thanks.

Comments

• UEFI is required to boot from a GPT style partition table.  It sounds like your computer is attempting to boot from the HDD rather than the USB device.  Turn the UEFI support back on, then boot the computer.  Once you're there, connect the USB device and use Aomei Partition Assistant to ensure that the primary partition on the USB drive is marked Active.  Try booting from the USB device after that.  Let us know if that helps.