Home AOMEI Products Support

OLD PC TO NEW PC

edited September 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello eveyone,

I need to upgrade Quickbooks on my XP machine and my XP machine is not compatible with the latest Quickbooks version... (smalll business machine) ... so here is the senario and questions....

Originating PC: Win XP Home edition with SP3, one (1) 150 GB C: IDE hard drive, NTFS formatted.

I made an Image backup on an external USB drive and I made a bootable USB thumbdrive for the WIn XP.

New PC: I want to purchase a new PC that comes with a 500 GB SATA drive and Win 8.1 pre-installed but I do NOT want Win 8.1.

I am ready to go out and buy an OEM Win 7 Premium Home 64 bit edition for the new PC.

Question: Can I install the fresh Win 7 64 bit onto the new machines C:, format the new PC's drive with the new Win 7 64 bit OS then take the external USB drive that contains the Image from the old PC, connect it to the new PC and also take the bootable USB thumb drive that I made and connect it as well to the new machine and basically make the new machine a Win 7 machine the same as the old one with an image restoral?

(I want to keep the "Compatibility Mode" of WIN 7 because of the applications and files that I have from the old Win XP machine.)

If this won't work, can you please advise me on what will work if anything?

Many thanks in advance!!

CJESS

Comments

• Hi CJESS,

What's your image backup for? Data or applications? If it's for data, you can just restore it to your new pc; if it's for applications, I'm afraid they can't be restored to use. Besides, how do you make your bootable USB thumbdrive? Using AOMEI products or other programs? If it's AOMEI products, then it can't be used to other computers only the source pc.

• Hello ABC,

The image I made is for is for the (OS?), Apps/Programs and Data. I made the USB bootable thumb drive using AOMEI. So I will need to install the new OEM of Win 7 64 bit on the new PC's hard drive, and install all programs and apps to the new PC from scratch if I understand right. Will the data for the apps from the image backup I made be restorable on the new PC if I do this?

Note that the Originating PC is still working fully. I just need to upgrade to Win 7 due to the new version of Quickbooks and it's a faster machine.

Thanks for your help,

- CJESS

• Hi CJESS,

Yes, your comprehension is right; you have to install the new OEM of Win 7 64 bit on the new pc and you'd better install all programs and apps. Luckily, the data can be restored to the new pc. As for the bootable usb thumbdrive, are you made it with AOMEI Backupper? If so and if your old system is 64-bit Win XP, it can boot on your new 64-bit Win 7; if it's 32-bit Win XP, then it cannot boot on the new 64-bit Win 7.

• Hi again ABC,

Do I even need the bootable thumb drive to restore just the data files? Can I just install AOMEI on the new PC that has the new WIn 7 64 bit OS and restore just the data files from the original USB destination hard drive that contains the Image Backup? (The originating PC has Win XP and is 32 bit.) I am assuming that I can pick a data-only restore from the image backup when I run AOMEI on the new PC and access the restore feature(s).

Please let me know. The new PC and WIn software arrives tomorrow (Wednesday, 9/17).

Thanks again for your time, 

- CJESS

• Yes, exactly! You can just install AOMEI on your new pc with Win7 64 bit and pick only data from the image to restore.image

• ABC, thanks so much for the quick  responses. I truly appreciate your time knoweldge and feel confident now to move ahead with the changeover.

Wishing you all the best,

- CJESS

• It's my pleasure to help you, CJESS. If you have any problems in the future, please feel free to ask us; we will do our best to give our help.