Home Storage General Discussion

External HDD Not accessible/recognized

I have a 1TB Seagate hard drive which I was using over my home network. It was not working over the network so I plugged it directly into my computer to test it and though it took a while it was working fine. I turned off my computer and came back later to open it and though it was being recognized by my computer I could not access it. After clicking on it it freezes for about 2 minutes and then a dialog box comes up saying something along the lines of "Parameters are incorrect." and does not open. After some frustration i turned off my computer and came back later. Now it does not come up in My Computer. I checked Device Manager it is there but not in Disc Management only device manager. I would just like to access it to transfer files to another drive. Any tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Does the drive work properly when connected to a different computer?

• Oh, yes, and I have transferred the files on the Seagate hd to another drive, but I wonder what's the problem? Is the Seagate hd still usable?

• What OS are you running on the computer that the drive isn't recognize on?  Also, what partition table type are you using (MBR or GPT)?  Windows XP for instance cannot read GPT type partition tables, so the drive would be recognized as being there in the device manager, but disk management wouldn't recognize it.  A Windows 7 or 8 PC would see it just fine, though.  I'm not saying this is the issue, but it is a scenario where what you're describing makes total sense.