Home Storage General Discussion

raid for os vs single disk for data

Can I install os on raid ssd while store my data on single ssd? What are the cons and pros? It’s meant to be on this build: maximus VII ranger, i7 4790, seasonic 850w…Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Ele,

You can boot from a RAID.  It merely needs to be built correctly and the computer needs to be configured for it.  For maximum performance and reliability, the RAID controller's driver needs to be installed into Windows.

Pros and Cons for RAID depend on the RAID level in use.  Some are faster, some are more reliable.  A RAID setup with drive mirroring and no striping will provide data redundancy, but no speed increase.  A striped RAID without CRC will give a performance boost, but if a single drive fails the RAID is destroyed along with any data it had.  I'd recommend researching it a bit to determine what would best suit your needs and budget.  Also, if you're using the built in RAID controller from your motherboard, be sure to choose a level that the board's controller supports.  Different levels require different numbers of drives.  Keep that in mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

• Though it's a late reply, thank you anyway!

• Ele, you're welcome, and I apologize as well.  The moderators on this forum are not employees of Aomei.  We do this in our spare time.  We will, however, try to be faster to answer.