Home AOMEI Products Support

PreOS mode skipped when migrating from SSD back to HDD

Hi,

I am planning to make some major to my OS on an SSD (from Samsung), so I'd like to migrate the OS to a HDD just in case, using the Partition Assistant Standard Ed. So, selecting some unallocated space on the HDD and hit "Apply", the partition assistant did pop the notification about the PreOS and ask for a restart, and the computer restarted. The problem is that the PreOS mode was skipped and it booted directly back to the original OS on the SSD.

The OS SSD was migrated using Samsung's migration tool, and I noticed that there is a 400mb hidden partition in the beginning of the SSD, presumably holding the MBR. That made me think if the AOMEI partition assistant got confused because of that.

More on my platform: Thinkpad T430i, SSD on the main drive position and a HDD on the ultrabay.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Comments

• Lunchbreak,

If you're running Windows 7 or 8 there is often a hidden partition anywhere from 50 MB to a few hundred MB.  This partition is used for certain boot environments and for drive encryption with the Enterprise editions of Windows.  I'm not sure why the boot sequence was not right from a partition change.  Out of curiosity, though, why are you repartitioning the hard drive?  If you simply wish to make a backup of the data, you can use Aomei Backupper to backup the entire system drive to an image file on the larger HDD.