Home AOMEI Products Support

Restore of UEFI GPT Partitions not possible!!!

edited September 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello,

i have created a full disk  and a system backup of my windows 8.1 pro installation with Backupper Standard 2.0.2. on WinPE.

Windows 8.1 is installed with UEFI and GPT partitions, like the recommends of Microsoft.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825686.aspx

In my case, i have four partitions. One partition for Windows RE Tools, second for System, third for MSR and the fourth for my Windows.

First Problem of System Backup.

System Backup doesn't backup the MSR partition. The MSR Partition should be backuped too!

Second Problem:

I would like to restore my full disk backup, but only the first three partitions will be restored. WHY, i made a full disk backup!?!?

Third Problem:

Full Disk Backup will allways be restored as MBR. My Windows Installation and Motherboard is UEFI. 

So at the moment, backupper can backup a disk with gpt, but not restore. :-(

Please help!!!

Thanks

post edited!

Comments

• I found a workaround for the second and third problem.

If the disk is not initialized, the Backupper see the harddisk as mbr.

If i take the full disk backup to restore, backupper initialize the disk as mbr. Thats false!

Workaround: 

First i have to initialize the disk as gpt and then, i can restore the full disk backup. So the backupper see the disk as gpt and will restore all partitions.

Please fix this problem. 

If the disk backup has gpt partitions, the backupper should initalize the disk as gpt.

• Hello borcon,

Thank you for your advice, we will forward it to our development staff. As for your first question, I don't know the reason either. Sorry for not helping you!

• edited September 2014

Hi borcon,

It's not necessary to backup MSR partition. Its function is like an unallocated space which can be used for allocating space to extend disk or some other operations.

As for the other two problems, the result is depending on what the style (GPT or MBR) of the destination disk is. Such a mechanism is convenient in the case of you want to downgrade the disk from GPT to MBR. So only when the destiation is GPT style, you can restore the full disk backup.