Home AOMEI Products Support

Cant Access Windows 7 User Folders

Hi

I've done a coplete system backup on a win 7 machine using Backuper V2.  I've copied the file onto another Win 7 machine with V2.02 on ot and the file mounts and opens fine for brosing but when I try to access a folder under the Users folder, I get a message saying I don't have permissions.

I'm trying to get in to the 'My Documents' areas from the old computer to copy some of it on to the new one.

Windows tries to give me permissions but after a couple of minutes says that it can't.

Any help much appreciated!

Michael

Comments

• Michael,

It sounds like you've got ACL issues (access control list).  Windows uses ACLs as a more robust expansion of the older file system idea of file attributes (read only, system, archive, hidden) from the FAT days.  If you're browsing a mounted backup, the file system will be read only.  This will prevent you from making permanent changes, but if you're lucky you could still take ownership even if the change isn't saved on the mounted image. 

1.  When you're browsing the user folder, right click on the documents folder, i.e. x:\users

\michael\documents, then choose properties.  

2.  Choose the Security tab.

3.  Click Advanced.

4.  On the new window that opens click Owner.

5.  Click the Edit button.

6.  If you see your user name in the list, select it then click Apply.

7.  If not click the Other users or groups button.

8.  Add your user name to the list.

9.  If prompted to apply to the folder only or the folder and all subfolders and files, choose

all subfolders and files.

10.  After this completes your user account should have ownership of the files.

11.  On the advanced window click the Permissions tab.

12.  Select your user account from the list then click the Change Permissions button.

13.  On the permissions page choose your account again then hit edit.

14.  Ensure full access is enabled to allow you to view, edit, and open any file in this

folder.

15.  Copy the files you want to the new computer.

If all of this fails due to the read only nature of the file system on the mounted image, you may need to copy the files from the original machine.  Let me know if this works, though.  If it does not I can do more research to help you find a solution.

• Hi Daryl

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.  Unfortunately I kept on getting error messages about the media being read only.  

I then tried copying the users folders from the mounted image to my PC and this worked fine!  I can't say if the attempts to change the permissions made a difference as I hadn't tried this before. (note to self - try the simple answers first!!!)

I had copied the backup image on to my new lapop so still have the original on a plug in drive.  I'll try copying from that later and let you know if that works too.

I'll also confirm that I can access all the files when the copy has completed.

All the best

Michael

• Just to close this, I was able to copy most of the files out with the exception of some within my Calibre ebook library where I got an error saying the filenames would be too long. 

I'm left unable to access these files without restoring the whole image onto the original machine.

I'll need to experiment more with Aomei to learn the details but perhaps I'll have to do some sort of regime which backs up the My Documents stuff outwith a System backup?

All the best

Michael