Home AOMEI Products Support

Migrate OS from HDD to SSD problem

Hello all im new to the ssd world and im having some trouble migrating my os over. I use the wizard that allows me to do this and it works wonderfully all the way up until the end of the process in preOS when i get the error code 5. I have no idea how to lock or unlock partitions and i dont know which ones need to be locked or unlocked or how or why im getting this problem. My OS is buried in a 2TB HDD from a pre built computer from 2011 with around 450gb of space taken up. Im not sure if the hard drive is just too old to be messed with. I DO NOT have another disk to backup to so im pretty much running on thin ice. The code i get is 5 but the error description and solution dont actaully tell me what to do. It just tells me whats wrong. Also the ssd seems to be fine. I can store other apps and download programs to the SSD but i doesnt seem to want the OS on it. Which is the only reason i bought it. Its a 500 Gb Samsung 860 Evo if that helps at all. Please help i would appreciate it!!! Thanks - matt

Comments

• Did you use partition assistant? Your computer is from 2011, so I guess it's a BIOS based (not UEFI) computer with MBR partitioned disk, not GPT. Am I right? Are both disks MBR? Did you erase (Clean with diskpart) the SSD before the migrating process? You should always start with a clean disk.
  • Please try to migrate OS in Partition Assistant WinPE.