Cloned laptop HDD to larger HDD will not boot

edited August 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

I need to increase the size of my laptop HDD. It has 4 partions: 

*system (system, active,primary partition) 199mb

c: (boot,page file,crash dump,primary partition) 280.94gb

d:recover (primary parttition) 16.86gb

e:hp_tools (primary partition) 103mb

My new HDD is 500gb (the max allowed).

I setup aomei backupper to clone the entire drive to my large HDD via USB connection, and increase partition size. All of the extra space went to the cloned c: drive (there was no choice of where to add the extra space, but it chose the clone of c: which is what I wanted).

After 4+ hours (and multiple attempts after I had to shut everything down running anything in the background) the clone finished. I also tried running the software in safe mode, but it will not run in safe mode.

The clone has  all of the partitions on it, the c: drive is increased.  But, there is no boot sector on the cloned c: and the status was not active.  I manually changed the status to active.  The system partition does not seem to be correct either.  I then switched out my HDDs on my laptop, but the new HDD would not boot.  I switched the HDD's back again to my original HDD so that I could reboot.  When I hook the new HDD up via USB, I get messages that the new HDD needs to be reformatted for each partition, so 4+ hours of execution are down the drain.

I've also tried the AOMEI Partition Assistant standard edition 5.0, and did not have any success with it either.

Comments

• Tried for a third time to do a complete HDD clone to new HDD. This time a i get an error code 220: feature on NTSF cannot be supported yet.  I can find no such code with any explanation on a google search or help pages.

• Tried for a fourth time to do a complete HDD clone, with the option to enlarge partion.  Again, no option for WHICH partition that I want enlarge, but the software did choose the c: partition, which is what I needed.   The 220 issue was solved by unplugging a backup USB drive that I have.  Clone completed. I switched out new cloned drive with existing laptop drive, but the new drive will still not boot.  No boot sector again.  There seems to be no options to tell the clone to make the cloned drive bootable and copy the system files. 

• Hi LHnTX,

Sorry to hear your fustration. I am trying to understand a little more about your process. Have you followed the Web-Site on the process of "Clone Disk"?

disk-clone process

Here is a note at the bottom of the page that might solve your mystery.

• After cloning the source disk to the destination disk, all the data on the destination disk will be covered. Therefore, before cloning, you'd better check out whether there is any important data on the target disk. If there is, copy it to another place.
    • If AOMEI Backupper has been employed under the Windows operating system, the system disk can only be set as the source disk, but can not be set as the destination disk. If the system drive is required to be the destination disk, the function of "Bootable CD" of AOMEI Backupper can complete this task.
    • If destination disk is a dynamic disk, you have to convert dynamic disk to basic disk first.