Home AOMEI Products Support

AOMEI Backupper adi file compatibility between releases

Maybe I have missed this perhaps by not using the right words to search but I can not find any details about the compatibility of .adi files between releases of AOMEI backupper.

e.g. Can version 4.1 restore backups created using 4.0.2 or vice versa.

What about backups created with version 3?

I do not want to have to keep more bootable USB drives including different versions of AOMEI Backupper than are necessary. Keeping records of the version used to make the backup is another issue.

I mostly back up full systems and occasionally just partitions but never files only.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Since no one has answered this one for a while, I'll take a shot. This MAY NOT be correct but to the best of my understanding of this program, any .adi file should be able to be restored by any version of AOMEI. Updates might contain a bug fix or program improvement you might want. So basically, if you do make a new USB drive with each update, you'll only need the last one to restore prior images. I think this is what you are really asking and that's the simple answer.
    I only started using AOMEI with version 4.02 and the last version 3 I see is over 2 years old. Do you still have an image that old that you might want to restore? I looked through the version change log notes and it doesn't look like the basic function of restoring has changed so again, I imagine that it would work for that image as well. You can always test this by trying a restore to a spare drive and see what happens. This may give you more peace of mind knowing it will work.
  • There is no compatibility problem between releases.
  • Thanks for confirming the backup files are compatible between releases.

The more likely scenario is indeed restoring with a newer release than used to create the backup but possible that a new backup made with a later release needs to be restored by somebody who only has an earlier release readily available.