Home AOMEI Products Support

Move installed apps to new computer

I have an old PC running Windows 10 with all my apps installed. I just bought a new computer, also with Windows 10 but different hardware.

I would like to move my files and some of my apps to the new computer, but retain the apps that came with the new computer. Can I move just some of the apps, or will it move the entire system? Will it delete the existing system installation?

Comments

• You can move files but not apps. You have to reinstall them as there are registry entries that the app puts there when installed to allow the program to work, etc. If by moving the entire system, you mean cloning it or using a backup image to restore to the new system, it will indeed delete whatever is there. If you don't want the old system, you can also just remove it's old drives and put them in the new one. I've done that multiple times with new builds with no problems. Win10 is smart enough to repair the startup and install new drivers...in most cases. (You can't have 2 drives with the OS so I expect you would need to remove the new one unless you set it up for dual booting.)

• The AOMEI Software description says it can move apps to a new system with a different OS. Is this not true? If it is true, Just trying to understand if it can do so without destroying pre-installed apps on the new computer.
  • edited July 2018
    If this is what you're referring to.... AOMEI Backupper is back up and recovery software. It allows you to back up your files, folders, hard disk drives, partitions, dynamic volumes, applications and system drives, and to restore them later if data loss occurs...... You can backup the FOLDER an app is in and restore that to the ORIGINAL PC in case of a file that went missing or got corrupted but again, you're not restoring the entries the app put in the registry if you're restoring it to another PC. Some simple apps that don't require registry entries may work on the new PC but if it requires a registry entry it probably won't. I've never seen the ability to move an app to another PC nor am sure how that would work. And of course, if restoring your SYSTEM drive to another PC, it would indeed overwrite the disk it's being restored to. If you did see that Backupper can move an app to a different PC, please post the reference here. I'm always ready to learn something new.
    Maybe an Aomei forum admin can confirm what I've said or can provide a more accurate answer.
  • I should have said I've never seen the ability of Aomei Backupper to move an app. I did some searching and maybe this is what you are looking for http://pickmeapp.com/ ????
  • Where did you see the description says it can move apps to a new system with a different OS?