Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper: UEFI USB bootable disc fails to start

Hi,

I'm trying to create a bootable USB drive in UEFI mode using Backupper Standard's built-in feature (version 4.1.0). It just does not work although no error is shown during creation. I used several different thumb drives on 3 different computers: the USB drive is not recognized as being bootable afterwards.
The legacy mode for USB works like it should however, and burning to CD/DVD is no problem in either mode.

The same is true when I don't directly write to disc but write to an ISO file and then create a disc using Rufus (for USB) or a burning tool (for CD/DVD).

Has anyone ever succeeded in creating a bootable thumb drive working with UEFI?

Comments

• Did you tick the option "Download WinPE Environment"?
  • Yes, the checkbox for downloading the WinPE environment is ticked.
    Yesterday, I installed Windows 10 version 1803 from scratch on my desktop and then freshly installed Backupper. Result is the same as described: no bootable UEFI thumb drive. I have run out of ideas what the problem might be.
  • We will test this issue, thanks for your feedback.
  • After running some more tests, I think I found the root cause of the failure.
    It is the order in which I tried to create a bootable UEFI thumb drive. First, I had Backupper generate an ISO file with all necessary options ticked. No problem to this point and the CD I burnt with legacy or UEFI mode was fine, like I described in my initial posting.

Things started going wrong when I used Rufus to create a bootable thumb drive using the ISO for UEFI mode. When within Rufus I select this ISO file, the partition scheme is automatically recognized as GPT while the target system says "UEFI (without CSM)". With these values, the USB flash drive created is not bootable however.

Then I used the USB drive again to write directly to it from within Backupper. No error, but again not bootable. Next I cleared all partition information on the USB thumb drive using Windows diskpart. Again, I wrote to it using UEFI mode from within Backupper. And this time, the USB drive was indeed bootable!

I took a look at the partition scheme that Backupper had written to the flash drive: it was MBR not GPT (I still wonder why the USB drive boots with this scheme on my UEFI computer, but anyway it does work). But when you use a USB drive with GPT already activated on it (like Rufus did), Backupper is obviously not able to clear this partition scheme and write its own (i.e. MBR) to it.

All this leads me to another question: What settings do I have to use within Rufus to create a USB drive that will boot in UEFI mode?

• For UEFI mode ISO, 3rd-party burning software is not supported at present.