Home AOMEI Products Support

Bootable media issues

Windows 10
Thru the Backupper program I attempted to create a CD bootable media.   99% complete and the CD ejects.  So never got to the point to select "Finish" sure enough when I attempt to reboot the PC to the disk I get an error msg (device not found I think).

I then created a bootable media using a USB.  Success so I thought.  But tried a restore within the program anyways and at one point message said to create a bootable media.  I thought odd, so I re-booted the PC and finally the Aomei menu showed up.
So clearly the USB works.

So then I can't perform a Restore without booting first via the USB? 
I thought we are able to restore with Windows up and running and running the Backupper program.

Comments

• edited June 2018
    You can't restore your C: drive (OS drive) in Windows. This should be evident as if it needed to be restored, you wouldn't have been able to boot into it in the first place. That is what the boot disk (USB) is for. If you need to restore a different drive, you should be able to do it within Windows. To put it another way, you can't restore a drive you're currently using, it has to be done in a pre-windows environment.
    As for the CD stopping at 99%, this problem has been around for at least as long as I've here (1 1/2 years). AOMEI knows about it but has never fixed it. In most cases, the CD will still work even though it stops at 99%. You can also use their ISO to create the disk. This function seems to work ok.
  • Thx - makes sense about the retore process. Not sure why I thought restoring within windows was one of its features.  I did not try the iso method as getting low on cd’s.
  • Actually you can restore from within Windows. When the program says to create a bootable media, click Yes, it will create a bootable ISO and reboot to restore the backup automatically. You don't need to create a USB disk manually.
  • @admin,
    Thanks for the extra bit of knowledge on what you can do with Backupper. My point was you need to be in a pre-windows environment to restore your C drive. I didn't know this was another way to get there. I know it can be created later on another PC but I think it still might be a good idea to have a recovery disk or USB created in case something goes wrong with a restore.