Home AOMEI Products Support

Win XP SP3 to Ubuntu, can I use XP back up

Not going to do split or partition hard drive and want to go from XP to total version of Ubuntu and have files backed up using XP free version of AOMEI software and want to find and use files when Ubuntu is installed, problems or challenges?

Comments

• I don't think you can open a Windows partition in Ubuntu.
  • So let me ask again.  I currently am using the operating system Win XP with SP3 and have used this backup software.  If i completely remove Windows and only use Ubuntu will the backup files be downloadable to Ubuntu? 
  • Ok, I have a question too. If you remove Windows, how can you open the backup files in Ubuntu?
    "downloadable" means "open", I suppose?
  • You have hit upon my question.  The files are documents, photos, and pdf's which Ubuntu recognizes, but will Ubuntu recognize them when they were backed up using AOMEI  to another drive, while in Win XP?  Ubuntu recognizes all of the extensions, but I am not sure about the format in which AOMEI saves them? 
  • The file extension of Backupper image is .adi or .afi. You can't open it unless you install AOMEI Backupper in Ubuntu (which is impossible).
  • You can always boot from a Bootable WinPE CD/DVD made in the utilities menu and save the files you want to the Ubuntu drive. Provided the Ubuntu drive can been seen from within WinPE. 
    It is difficult however. You need to explore the backup in the utilities menu of WinPE. Then you can use Dos Command Prompt in the utilities menu to go to the explored drive. You can check in the backup tab which drive that is.
    Use copy commands to copy from explored backup drive to ubuntu drive.

Maybe Admin can advise on other bootable Aomei DVD's which has explorer options.