Home AOMEI Products Support

Convert MBR to GPT on boot disk?

So, I have a Windows 2012 Server that currently has a 2TB system/boot disk.  It's a RAID disk that is actually 3TB, and I'd like to convert it to GPT to recognize the full 3TB.  Is it possible to do this with the AOMEI software without data loss?  I've read several things that lead me to believe it is possible, but then some others that make me think not.  

Comments

• edited August 2014

Don't take this as gospel, but you might need to break the array to make the conversion and then rebuild.

• Alright, well almost certainly not going to be a one-step conversion using the magic software then....

• Hi harrisonmattr,

This problem can be solved easily with the pay version of AOMEI Partition Assistant. And if use our backup software, currently it not support restoring to the disk smaller than the original, we are optimizing this problem to enable you can restore to a smaller drive under the condition of the capacity of the destination is large enough to contain the source data.

Back to the topic,you can use Partition Assistant, but first the raid must be basic not dynamic. Second, the motherboard must support UEFI boot, otherwise, it cannot boot. Finally, this kind of conversion is data protective and it will only take a few seconds to complete.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team