Home AOMEI Products Support

Can I migrate System Partition to a partition of USB External HDD without losing data external HDD.

Can I migrate my OS i.e. system partition to a partition of USB External Disk without losing data of USB external disk. Actually I have taken backup of my licensed Windows 7 and then upgraded it to Windows 10, now I want to have both the OS, one in system partition of my lappy and another one in my USB external HDD, so that I can use Windows 7 as well as Windows 10 whenever required but there is hell lot of data in other partitions of my external HDD and I don't want to lose that data.
If I can, will it boot properly into OS of USB External HDD?

Comments

• edited June 2018
    You cannot boot from external HDD.

Don't you have a second partition on your internal HDD or can you create one on the HDD?  If so, you can restore to the second partition and add a bootmenu with EasyBCD. Mind: You only need to restore the C: partition of Win7, not the system partition.

If you can't make/have a second partition you can also restore the C: from the Win7 backup to a VHD, which will act like a partition.
  • I know it can be done, but I don't how. I have already installed Windows 7 in USB flash drive using Win2USB, but it actually format the entire disk / pen drive so only not trying, otherwise I would have backed up my license of Windows 7, installed Windows 7 in HDD partition using Win2USB and restored the license. But I don't want to lose my data and I don't have any other HDD where I can keep my data temporarily.

I have seen a tuturial long back of booting into the OS on USB external HDD. I am sure it can be done but I don't want to lose my data otherwise I would have done this by now using win2usb. I hope Acronis people would help me.
  • edited June 2018
    Your Windows 7 license is a 5x5 characters product key. If it came with the laptop there must be a label on the bottom of the laptop or in the battery compartment. 
    And if you wish that Acronis people help you, you must post your question on their website. This is the forum of Aomei.