Home AOMEI Products Support

Recovery Partition FYI

In the past, I've made note on this forum that when doing a SYSTEM restore, the Recovery Partition is not copied over. This is supposedly to allow you to expand your C (OS drive) to the right to use all the space on the disk you want, assuming there is (was) unused free space to the right of the Recovery Partition. That partition is not necessary as long as you made a Windows Recovery CD or USB as it contains all the same information and functions that were in that partition.
I recently updated to the new Win 10 1803 version, and to my surprise, it reinstalled the Recovery Partition that had previously been deleted when I did a SYSTEM backup restore (in lieu of a disk clone) to a new SSD. This is not the "factory" made restore partition, but just the Microsoft one. I have not tested to see if it works, but it's there.
So basically, even if you lose the Recovery Partition when doing a SYSTEM restore, it seems you'll get it back when you apply the next Windows 6 month product update (for Win 10).