Home AOMEI Products Support

System backup defaults to Disk 0 (but boot drive is on Disk 2)

My Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit boot drive (500GB) was misbehaving, partitioned with 100MB System Reserve (unlabeled), 100GB C: and 390GB D:. I had an AOMEI system back up from yesterday, so bought a 1TB HD and made two partitons 100GB and 900GB. Finally got the image on and booted (long bad story).

So now I want to re-image this new HD with AOMEI system back up. I have 3 HDs in this computer and the BIOS/Windows has decided to assign my boot disk (C:) to Disk 2 and a data disk (Q:  ) to Disk 0. When I ask AOMEI to back it up as a system and make it bootable, it defaults to Disk 0, and also shows C: but even when I check C: it still backs up Q:
How to I make it ONLY image C: on Disk 2 ?

Comments

• This is only a partial answer to your question. Your BIOS doesn't decide which disk number is your boot disk. Disk 0 is whichever drive is plugged into the motherboard's first SATA port. This continues with the next SATA port as Disk 1.... and so on. Try plugging your C drive into the first port and then try what you from there.
  • My original (boot) HD was in the first SATA port, Disk 0. After imaging my new HD (which was in a higher port and higher Disk number (same computer), I took out the bad HD and put the new HD with the operating system back in the first SATA port, but it reads Disk 2 by Windows 7.

But really at issue is a bug in AOMEI which shows both Disk 0 and Disk 2 (boot) but wont let me "only" image the Disk 2 partition.
  • Q:\ is labelled "System", so it will be included in the system backup.