Home AOMEI Products Support

Deleting old backups

Hi everybody.

My backup disk is full and AOMEI Backupper 2.0.1 rightfully complains that it can't create new backups until it has sufficient free space. But so far I haven't figured out how to delete old backups. The backup procedure I'm talking about is an incremental system backup.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Comments

• Same for me please, thanks.

• It is the principle of an incremental backup, that only the changes from the last backup are saved, no matter if the last backup was full or incremental. So it is logical that you need ALL older backups, if you want to restore a backup from an incremental proceure. This means, that you cannot delete a single older backup. You have to delete them all and make a new full backup. This is the reasen why i use the diffenrential backup procedure. Here you can delete older differential backups and you only have to keep the last full backup.

Unfortunately in Aomei Backupper there is no possibility to delete single backups from within the gui of the program. You can only delete ALL Backups from within the program. I suggested Aomei in this forum to integrate a function to select single backups for deletion, and this should be made so, that the program shows you which other backups are dependent on those you have chosen for deletion. Similar like EaseUS Todo backup does it. But according to the answer from aomei, it seems that they don´t want to integrate such a useful function. That is sad.

• edited August 2014

Hello to all,

We are so sorry for the late reply. As for the incremental backups, you can delete. Please refer to the instructions below:

For AOMEI Backupper Standard Edition users,you have to manage the backup files manually.

1: In the"Home" screen, select the backup task and click"Advanced"-"Locate Image", immediately, you will bedirected to the directory where the image was saved.

2: As for incremental backup, since every incremental backup is based on the last backup, so if you delete any previous image file will make the entire subsequent image files invalid. Therefore, you must start from the last one and backwards deleting incremental backups. After that, you may start new incremental backup now.

3: As for differential backup, every differential backup is based on the last full backup, so you can delete any differential backups to free up space and then start a new one.

4: If you onlycreate full backup periodically, you can delete any of them ignoring the order,since every full backup is independent from others.

If you have any further questions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• how can I tell the difference between an incremental & differential backup?

• Click on your backup, then choose advanced and versions.  It will show the backup type in the chart.