Home AOMEI Products Support

Boot disk error

I need to clone a Windows XP laptop to dissimmilar hardware (The normal repair install process won't work for some obcure reason), but I'm getting an error with the boot CD. 

File:Windows\system32\boot\winload.exe 
Info:  attempting to load a 64 bit application, however this cpu is not compatible with 64 bit mode. 

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them as there doesn't seem to be an option to create a 32bit boot cd in the program settings and I don't understand why the program would create a 64 bit boot cd in the first place.

Thanks, 

Alan   

Comments

• Try the Linux version of the Bootable Media. It clones Windows disks too.
    or
    Choose Legacy. UEFI is always 64 bit.
    Don't check the download WinPE checkbox.
    Create the disk on a 32 bits Windows system.
  • Thanks.  I chose legacy with the WinPE.  I guessed i might have needed to do the last step, but you've answered the question.  I still don't understand whyit's neccesary to create a 64bit boot cd that only acts as a platform to enable the restore, but nothing surprises me any more.  Cheers.  

• edited April 2018
    On an UEFI machine (I mean without turning the PC in legacy mode) only UEFI media boots and UEFI is always 64 bit. 
    On a legacy machine 32 bits wil always boot regardless 32 or 64 bits CPU.
  • It's an old laptop running XP with some expensive commercial vehicle diagnostics software on it.  It definitely doesn't have a UEFI bios as it's far too old.  The only reason I'm trying to clone it this way is because the usual XP repair install fails at the licence number stage & I can't work out why.  I must have installed or repair installed XP a thousand times, but the one time it's really important is the one time it refuses to work.  Sods law.