Home AOMEI Products Support

Cloning HELP

edited April 2018 in AOMEI Products Support

So i currently have a 500GB HDD with win10 on it and other programmes and games etc which is all using about 400GB of space. I have my new 120GB SSD but i only want to move/clone my OS to the new SSD. is it worth resetting my PC and having a fresh win10 Then clone it to SSD?

Comments

• edited April 2018

@addyy,

You may get several different opinions on how to handle this so what I'm saying is only one option.

IF you only have one partition on your current HDD and your OSS, programs and data are all on it, this will severly limit any cloning procedure. I'm going to assume that's what you have. If not, then let us know.

What you want to do is install a clean copy of Win 10 on your new SSD. Then you have several options. Reinstall your programs on the same C partition and use your old HDD for data storage. Or reinstall your programs and data on your old HDD and just have your OSS on the SSD. This would all be dependent on the size of the programs vs the size of the data you need to reinstall. 

When I say reinstall the data, you will have to have made a backup of all your data files so you can later transfer them to the new setup. Unfortunately, you can't do the same with your programs. When you install a program, WHERE you install it is part of the registry and other parts of the program so it knows where to look for certain things to make it work. So they will all have to be reinstalled.

IF you currently have a C partition with just your OSS and programs on it and a separate partition on the drive for your data, then what you can do is very different. So again, let us know what you have now.

PS. With a new Win10 OSS(1803) coming out any day now. I'd wait for that so can install it only once using it's ISO option for a clean install.