Home AOMEI Products Support

increasing partition C but Recovery partition is on the way.

hello,

i got recomanded to use this free prod.

i would like to increasing partition C but win10 Recovery partition is on the way.

is it possible? do you do that?

so how do i?

thanks

Comments

• edited April 2018

Which free product? Backupper of Partition Assistant?

You are correct that you can't extend a partition if there is a partition to its right. First of all, you DO NOT NEED the recovery partition. There are multiple ways to delete this partition, but doing it in Windows Disk Management isn't one of them. If you Google "deleting recovery partition" you will find some very good articles about what this partition does and many ways to delete it. You can do this from within Windows if you make a recovery disk or USB as an option exists afterwards to delete the partition. They also list multiple free programs you can use to do it. I think Aomei Partition Asst is one of them.

I would recommend one caveat before you do anything. MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR DRIVE FIRST just in case of something goes wrong. I would also make a separate backup of the recovery partition so you can put it back after you have extended the OSS partition. (I can not guarantee this function will work. I have not tried it.) Nor am I sure there is any reason you'd want to put it back.

That being said, you can follow the directions for deleting a partition and extending a partition from the help manual for PA. Partition Help

There is also a "work around" way to do all this from Backupper. If you make a SYSTEM image of your drive, then reinstall it (to a spare drive if you don't want to mess around with your original drive). The "recovery" using this method will recopy all partitions on that drive EXCEPT for the recovery partition. This is done so you can do exactly what you are desiring to do. I have performed this operation using Backupper and can confirm it works that way. Using this function, you will need to create a bootable disk to do this from a pre windows environment. I'm not sure if using PA would require making a bootable disk for that program.

Good luck with this.