Home AOMEI Products Support

File sync terminated prematurely? no error messages, no logs

Using aomei backupper free 4.0.6 on Win 8.

I set up a sync of several folders to another local drive, syncing about 500k files.  It ran overnight and in the moring showed 100% complete.  A few file names were shown in the main dialog, but no error messages and not even enough file names to cause it to scroll - so litterally 3 or 4 file names.  All looked good.

I go to the sync directory and according to properties on the sync folder, I see that it only synced about 59k files - seeming to have stopped partway through the source folders.  The 'show logs' for that backup & for backupper as a whole show no logs at all - nothing to see why the backup didn't finish.  BTW, the machine didn't sleep or hibernate, etc.

1. is this a known problem?

2. is there a limit on the volume of files that sync can handle?

3. is there anywhere else that logs might be stored to find out what went wrong?

Tagged:

Comments

• Maybe there was a pop-up window, please sync manually to see the result.

• Thanks for the quick response.  I tried the sync a few times with the same result.  No popup, no log & the bulk of the sync not done.  Not sure if it synced the same amount each time, but in all cases it was far smaller than it should have been.  

The first 2 times I synced it complained about the same 3 files (on the target, not the source - interesting).  So I deleted the 3 from the source, and then sync ran without those names coming up in the main screen, but still sync was very incomplete, and no logs / errors / popups, etc.   Basically the same as the first 2 attempts.

I tried a file backup and it seems to have completed (ie backed up all files into am image), but I need a sync functionality rather complete backups each time it runs.  The file backup produced a log (albeit with not much information - eg nothing about how many files or folders were backed up or how long it took, etc., which seems like pretty important information.)

Then I ran sync once more (by mistake) and then canceled it.  Got a log this time :-)  saying it was canceled.  Alas, not helpful to the syncs that were left to run to "completion".

Any thoughts much appreciated.

• Can you please check those skipped files, do they have special file names?

• They were pretty benign - not super long, etc. and in all 3 cases, just one of many very similar ones in the same folders.  ie, very similar files in the same folders were backed up fine.

Also, the messages were about the target path not the source.

And I don't know that the files were skipped, per se - they were just dumped out in the main window with no explanation, between "Syncing the files" and "the operation has completed successfully".

I deleted the source files and tried again.  No file names dumped out this time, but still, not successfully completed, and no log file.

cheers

steve

• Hi steve, thank you for the information. However, we still don't know what's so special about your files, can you check them manually? Maybe you can upload some screenshots?