Home AOMEI Products Support

File ignored during backup - no warning!

edited December 2017 in AOMEI Products Support

I was testing several backup programs and was using the "File Backup" option in AOMEI personal to back up a folder on my HD to my NAS. All went well except for one issue that I only discovered when looking at the error log for one of the other programs I was trying out (Windows File History).

I had used the same source directory for both tests. Aomei completed it with no errors and no error entries in the log, However File History alerted me to one file that was skipped because of a "Max Path" error.

When I looked for that particular file in the AOMEI backup image it wasn't there - so it WAS also skipped during the AOMEI backup, but AOMEI never warned me about it or noted it in the log.

I think this should be fixed! - I don't know how many other files it may have skipped without telling me...

(the file path was very long - 263 characters. I don't know how the file got there, but it did!)

Tx

Comments

• It will show which files are skipped at the end of the backup progress, maybe you just didn't notice it.

• I didn't notice anything. All I remember was seeing that the operation had completed succesfully and clicking a "Finish" button. The logs also indicate that execution was a "success" and there are no error codes.

However I did another test and this time I DID see a notice about a missing file - but that was only temporary and appeared in the main "backup" window However it dissappeared forever when I clicked "Finish". - so it is likely that I didn't notice it before. And again there is no entry in the logs or any indication that anything had gone wrong.

Something this important is too easy to miss and I think shouldn't just appear temporarily.

I'd have expected a "skipped file error" to generate an entry in the log. I'd suggest that as an improvement for the next version..

Thanks

• We will improve this feature in future versions, thanks for your suggestion.