Home AOMEI Products Support

File Sync: Does it Clone a Folder?

Hello, I have a question about the File Sync feature.  I'm not sure I understand it.

I did a test file sync of a folder.  The folder contained ten subfolders, and a dozen files.

I will refer to the original folder as the SOURCE folder.

The file sync did create a perfect duplicate of that folder and its contents.

I will refer to the synched folder as the DESTINATION folder.

After I did the file sync, I went into the source folder and created a new subfolder.  I put the dozen files in that new subfolder.

So, now, the source folder has 11 subfolders, with no loose files in it.

I did another sync. The sync added that new subfolder to the destination folder.

Here's the problem: It left the dozen files as they were. They were not deleted.  The destination folder now has eleven subfolders, plus the dozen files.

That is absolutely not what I want.  I thought a file sync clones the source folder, and makes an exact duplicate of it in the destination folder.  But it doesn't.  The file sync feature should have gotten rid of the twelve loose files. 

Am I right or wrong about this?  If I sync a folder, isn't the synched folder supposed to be exactly like the original source folder? 

If it does not, then this is why I prefer an incremental or differential backup.

Thank you!   J.Danniel

Comments

• edited December 2017

Is this "possibly" the answer to your question?? From help documents..

5. For schedule sync, if you delete the file in the source folder, it will be not deleted in the destination immediately. It will wait for the next time of files synchronization, and the deleted file will be removed from the destination.

• I did another sync. The sync added that new subfolder to the destination folder.

—Did you delete the previous 10 folders?