Home AOMEI Products Support

Cannot Do Incremental Backup--Source Folder Was Renamed

Hello.  I tried to do an incremental backup of a folder on my external hard drive.  However, after I did the original full backup, I renamed that source folder.  Now, when I try to do an incremental backup, I am unable to.  I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see.

My question is:  Is there a way to get Aomei Backupper Standard to locate the renamed folder, and proceed with the incremental backup?  If I am unable to do that, then I have to create a new, full backup, which takes a few hours.

Thank you!  J. Danniel

Tagged:

Comments

• edited November 2017

I renamed that source folder.  

You mean that you renamed the destination folder on your HDD I presume.

I just did a test with a partition backup. I guess the other backups work the same:

I deleted the old backup task in the Home tab, the one that pointed to the old location.

I imported the backup task from the renamed folder. The little bent arrow in the middle of the screen. It is now added to the Home tab. (You can also add a task by exploring it in the Utilities tab using Path)

Then I did a incremental backup. That worked.

• edited November 2017

"You mean that you renamed the destination folder on your HDD I presume."

No.  The exact opposite.  The SOURCE folder, which contains the original material I was backing up.  Aomei looked for the original source folder, could not find it (since it no longer exists as originally named), and aborted the backup, as seen in the screen shot above.

I have found no way to get Aomei to locate the renamed source folder.    I could try to rename the original source folder back to its original name.  That might work.  But I don't want to do that, because I would have to rename that folder again, each and every time I do a backup.  That isn't practical.  

Oh, one other thing:  I do know how to import backups, but that works with destination folders, not source folders.

• I understand. Wouldn't File Sync be a better option? 

• " Wouldn't File Sync be a better option? "

No, for various reasons.  File Sync just duplicates the folder onto the destination drive, and that is something I don't want.  I want the backup to have as few files as possible.  The source folder, with the original material, has well over 50,000 files in it.  The destination/backup folder has a few--the main, full backup, and a few incremental files.  When I get too many incremental files, I create a differential file and delete the incremental files.  This just helps keep databases, spreadsheets, and file searching to a minimum.

I went ahead and renamed the source folder, then did a differential backup.  It worked.  But it would be nice if Aomei could offer me the option of locating the source folder, if the software can't find the original one.  

It might be an eccentric way of doing things, but it works for me.  Thank you for your help.