Home AOMEI Products Support

No boot partition

I did a disc copy, made a bootable usb stick, got a new hard drive and put it in my laptop, plugged in the usb stick and started the laptop, chose to do a system restore and chose the back up file. It went for an hour and at the end said it was 100% done. but when i start the computer it comes up with a message that says there is no bootable drive.. What do I need to do.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited October 2017

You made a backup and you did a restore on a new hard drive, but this one is not bootable. Question: is the new hard drive initialized in the same style as the original? I mean GPT or MBR. On an UEFI system it should be GPT on a BIOS system it should be MBR to be bootable. It looks like the new hard drive is the wrong way initialized

• how do i initialise it, the system is UEFI, I followed the instructions to find out if it was UEFI or BIOS and when I was making the bootable usb I chose UEFI.

• edited October 2017

The problem has nothing to do with your USB stick. The question is, is the new hard drive the same type as the original? Since it seems to be UEFI in 99,9% of all cases your drive should be initialized as GPT. So is your new HDD  MBR by chance? If you boot from Aomei USB, you can see the initialization style as seen in the picture, below Disk0 Basic MBR or Basic GPT.

Changing from MBR to GPT:

Goto (Windows Shell) Command prompt in the Utilities menu of the Bootable USB 

Type Diskpart, press Enter

Type List Disk , press Enter

Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter

Type Clean, press Enter   (Disk will be wiped totally)

Type Convert GPT, press Enter

Type Exit, press Enter.

Close the Command Prompt window, Type Exit again.

Then try a restore again.

• I just checked and it is MBR :-( does this mean that I have wasted my money or can I format it and re do it as MBR?

• edited October 2017

So, your old drive was GPT and your new drive is MBR? In that case follow my instructions in entry #3 to convert a MBR disk to a GPT disk and restore again. And no you did not waste your money. Yet.

• Entry #3 has disappeared :-(

• edited October 2017

Uhhh? #3 is still visible. But again:

Changing from MBR to GPT:

Goto (Windows Shell) Command prompt in the Utilities menu of the Bootable USB 

Type Diskpart, press Enter

Type List Disk , press Enter

Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter

Type Clean, press Enter   (Disk will be wiped totally)

Type Convert GPT, press Enter

Type Exit, press Enter.

Close the Command Prompt window, Type Exit again.

Then try a restore again.

• Tried that, it came up with "list is not recognised as an internal or external command operable program or batch file

• edited October 2017

Sorry, I forgot the line Type Diskpart, press Enter. See instructions above.

Try again.

• edited October 2017

Thankyou, it worked, thankyou so much for your help, hopefully it works :-)