Home AOMEI Products Support

Cannot restore entire disk (5 partitions) in GPT mode

Using an HP laptop windows 10 vs 1701.

It has 5 partitions including a recovery and HP Diagnostics partition.

If I back up the whole disk to an external drive, does the Bios have to be in UEFI mode during the creation of the backup image? Mine was set to Legacy during the backup process.

When I restored, I got the warning about GPT mode because I had previously wiped the drive to test something and had clean reinstalled windows with legacy enabled.

So I disabled Legacy and set the drive to GPT. Then I made the Aomie live USB bootable tool in UEFI mode.

When I restored the drive, I only had 4 partitions brought over. The UEFI Diagnostic Tool partition was missing.

Aomie reported at the end of the process that a GPT backup was restored back as GPT. But no Diagnostics partition.

So im trying to understand why its missing.

When the backup is created, does the bios have to be set to UEFI mode for that also, or did I do something else wrong?

Comments

• Did you do a "disk" backup or a "system" backup. If you did the later, then it will only backup and restore  those partitions necessary to run Windows. A disk backup should have copied all partitions.

• I selected the whole disk. The recovery partition came over, just not the tools.

• Perhaps I should try restoring again. Its working fine, Im just curious what I did wrong.
  • Nevermind. Its there. I thought the diagnostics tools partition would show in Disk Management but its hidden. Rebooting and starting the diagnostics tool via the F2 shoutcut is working.

Sorry for the confusion.