Home AOMEI Products Support

No backup repair tool?

edited July 2017 in AOMEI Products Support

I very carefully spent hours backing up my data with AOMEI Backupper, including verifying data integrity. When it came time to restore the backup file... BAMM! "Invalid image file. This file may not be complete or has been damaged, or it does not match with the current software version." Same result with the check image utility. So now I have a large, useless backup file and I've lost all my carefully backed up data.

I don't know how the backup file could get corrupted so quickly but there appears to be no Backup Repair Utility included with AOMEI. If this is how well it works, I don't think I'll be using AOMEI again.

Comments

• edited July 2017

Thanks for your reply. As for the three proposed solutions:

1.      I had indeed ticked “Check data integrity on backup” and it passed. Since I no longer have the original files, I cannot try unchecking and making the backup again.

2.      I didn’t run into the issue while making an incremental image file so I can’t do this.

3.      Using WinPE is getting extremely technical forpeople who chose to use AOMEI tools in order to avoid such complications in the first place. Nevertheless, I created a WinPE boot drive, which boots to a command prompt, and further instructions how to proceed with a restore using AOMEI are lacking. In any event, it’s not designed to repair corrupted files.

I understand that had I run into a corrupt backup file using Microsoft Backup, there are utilities that can repair .BKF files. Since proprietary formats like AOMEI’s .ADI format cannot be similarly repaired, I have belatedly learned that it is preferable not to use third-party backup solutions.

• When you boot from Backupper WinPE, it should be Backupper GUI, the same as in Windows. We are not sure what the "command prompt" is.

• Your rather unclear instructions simply read “If you restore the backup file under windows, you could make a WinPE bootable media and boot into winPE to restore again.” Therefore, after a lot of Googling, I created a plain bootable WinPE drive, which was useless, of course.

Now I see that what you actually meant to write was “If you HAD RESTORED the backup file under Windows, you could instead try creating a bootable medium using the Backupper Utilities tab (according to the steps explained on this page: www.backup-utility.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html) and try restoring again”. (For a first-time user, it was not at all clear what WinPE means, that Backupper bootable media are created within WinPE and that you use both terms to mean the same thing.)

So anyhow, I tried recovering my backup file again using a bootable Backupper drive but I still got exactly the same result: “invalid image file”.

• I'm afraid your backup image is corrupted, you could make a new one.

• Hello, is there any tool to repair the invalid image? the size if the image is about 80GB.

• @Bassim I'm sorry there is no such tool.