Home AOMEI Products Support

Incremental backup uses wrong taget disk

wj1wj1
edited April 2017 in AOMEI Products Support

Scenario:

I did a full disk backup of my pc harddrive to a USB disk on drive letter F:. All is well. Then I unplugged the USB disk and sometimes later plugged another USB disk in, then plugged the backup USB disk in to a seperate USB slot and started an incremental backup.

The incremental backup happily started using the first USB disk as that had gottten the drive letter F: assigned, even though the disk did not contain any valid AOMEI backup. And it looks like the backupper decided to do a full backup to the new disk. That created a couple of problems - firstly my backup disk does not contain an incremental backup, just the original full backup, and secondly (but very bad in my opinion) the new full backup was not encrypted because the backup option window is not shown for increamental or differential backups (I think).

I have been through the manual and the FAQs, but I haven't found a way to tell AOMEI Backupper to use or verify the disk name instead of, or as verification of, the drive letter. Or at the very least ascertain that there is a previous backup for which an incrementat backup can be made.

This is windows 10 by the way.

Someone please advise.

Comments

• edited April 2017

I advice you to assign a high letter, like W, X or Y to your backup USB and not rely on a automatically assigned drive letter, which can be different everytime you plug it in.

Goto Disk management to do so.

Always check if the correct letter(s) are assigned before starting the incremental backup. I do too.

• having the same problem, is there a way to tell (manually) were the file needs to be created?