Home AOMEI Products Support

Doing incremental backups - first backup

Hi - I am about to use AOMEI to do my first backup of my system disk, and I would like to use the incremental process to keep my backup in sync.  Can I do my first backup using the incremental option?  Or, do I do a full system backup and then after that'd done, set up an incremental back up?

Thanks

Comments

• First a full backup then an incremental. An incremental is the difference between the last backup and the current situation.

• Does it make sense to have on "Check backup integrity on completion" for incremental backups?

• I would think for peace of mind you should always verify what you back up. It will take a lot more time but so what? I run mine late at night so it's not a factor for me. This is all done in the background so unless you're running a CPU intensive program, again, so what?

• Makes sense. Thanks

• edited March 2017

Another thing that I would recommend is after you create a rescue boot disk, do a restore of an image you made to a spare HD or SSD and boot from it. This will insure your boot disk works and your system image will also work. This is the whole point of backup software. If it doesn't work for you, why use it? I have done this with an AOMEI image and it restored to a spare HD and booted up without any errors for me. I've only been using AOMEI for a couple of months now, but I feel comfortable that I'm protected. It's worth the time to do all of this. Finding out after a system or HD failure that you can't restore your image is a little late.

• One more question.  Let's say I have it scheduled to do a daily incremental backup.  If I leave the backup drive off for a few days, when I turn it back on again will it do the backup seamlessly from the last actual incremental backup?  That won't cause any issues, I assume.