Home AOMEI Products Support

Weird crash when backupping using Windows 10

Hi there,

I use the latest version of the AOMEI Backupper (3.2) on Windows 10 on an Acer notebook.

I could successfully do a system backup.

However, when doing a partition backup to an external hard drive (USB) the AOMEI does not finish it.

Since it is quite a big partition (~220 GB) I chose "on backup completion -> shutdown".

It starts usually, but eventually something must go wrong, because my laptop shows the following screen:

When I restart my laptop, the backup is not shown in AOMEI Backupper.

On the external hard drive, the file written is 0KB big.

I tried some other settings:

- Windows should go to sleep on completion -> no change, same error

- I used the "Splitting" setting to create 50000 MB files.
  AOMEI Backupper then creates the first 4 files, each 50GB big, but fails to complete the last one (again 0KB).
  Completion with same error screen.

My laptop behaves totally normal otherwise (no booting issues).

First I thought that my external hard drive got too old and unreliable, so I ordered a new one.

But even with that the error comes up.

Any ideas what goes wrong here?

Thank you!

Comments

• edited May 2016

since 220GB takes more than 1 hour on USB3, it could go to sleep after 1 hour or whatever is set. First thing to check are the Power options, therefore.

Did you try with no option at the completion of the backup, instead of Power down or Go to sleep? That would be the logical try, second thing to check.

The screen is from Network boot (your Notebook supports it, it would boot from a special server on your local network). It is strange that it boots into network boot, instead of from the internal disk and I don't have an explanation for it. Very vaguely it could be a non-responding device (hard disk) but this is after the real error. It boots devices in order, until one responds, network boot comes last. Obviously the state is not permanent but you are able to re-boot your laptop from the device (hard disk).

• @deepbluesea70, is taht all ok now?

For the error message you get.

Maybe there is someone who open the PXE in your LAN.

And also you set the network is the first boot.

Please check and reset it.

• edited May 2016

I also like to know (just to be sure) whether Backupper runs in Windows or from the bootable media? Assuming it runs from Windows, but the On completion option is available in both ways.

2 understand well, the error should not happen. My questions and suggestions are to overcome the issue.

• Thanks a lot for your comments.

(Unfortunately, I did not get any confirmation emails, but logged on again to this forum after a few days)

First of all:

- I had checked my energy options and when my notebook is plugged in,

no services should be switched off (hard drive, etc.)

- I'm at my home and I'm not aware of anybody in our network who could open

the PXE in our LAN. I don't even know what PXE means.

Our home network is only used by my wife and myself.

- The Backupper runs on Windows 10; so I first boot windows and then start it.

- In BIOS, my hard drive is set as the first boot device.

When the error occurs, I switch off my notebook and switch it on again.

Windows 10 then just boots normally, although it seems to take a bit longer.

I think we can rule out that someone in our Network triggers the LAN boot on purpose. If it ever happens without using the AOMEI Backupper, I'll let you know.

To rule out any side effects of Windows I gave it another try and chose the

following settings in addition to the splitting option:

- On tab VSS, I chose "Use AOMEI's built-in technique to backup without interrupting"

- I disabled the option to do anything on completion of the backup process.

So my laptop should just stay switched on.

I got the same error message.

The backupper seems to be active until the last GBs are written.

My data partition uses 219GB of space, and that's what I find on my external hard drive after reboot:

Next thing I might try is to switch off the email notification as a previous version of the Backupper seemed to have an issue with my email address.

Unless you have any other idea what I could try...

To me it looks like a bug.

Maybe I will start it earlier one day to see what happens just before the ASCII screen.

AOMEI managed to do a complete system backup (~53GB), kind of weird that there seems to be an issue with the partition backup.

Could it help if I format my external hard drive with GPT?

My internal hard drive is a hybrid (SSD + normal hard drive) if that makes a difference.

Before Windows 10, I used a previous version of the Backupper for a year without any issues.

• edited May 2016

>>>>>- I had checked my "energy options" (=in my and your language) and when my notebook is plugged in, no services should be switched off (hard drive, etc.)

The only two options I know of are - turn off monitor, and -go to sleep ("save energy mode"=in my and your language), they are minutes or never. The second option should be "never". There are no hard disk timeouts to set there as far as I know. There is an advanced ("extended") hard disk timeout option, it could pay for a final test to set it to never, and reset after the test to what it was before.

However regarding hard disk timeout, it is known that Windows 10 (actually since 8.1) turns off USB disks after a few seconds to minutes, unrelated to Power Options ("energy options"), and I use KeepAliveHD which writes to the USB disk every 40 seconds to prevent it to happen.It would be strange if that were the issue, that is a long thought at the end of the partition backup.

>>>> - I'm at my home and I'm not aware of anybody in our network who could open PXE in our LAN. I don't even know what PXE means.

The error is not related to what you write. It is related to the computer going into re-boot, and the internal hard disk not responding to disk commands at this point. Next the computer tries to boot from PXE which is correct. The error is that it goes into re-boot and that the internal hard disk hangs, not that it boots from PXE unsuccessfully with final resolution: No bootable device, insert boot disk and press any key.

>>>>Backupper seems to be active until the last GBs are written.

Yes it does not work well at completion, therefore the last, or only, split is 0KB in size.

>>>>Could it help if I format my external hard drive with GPT?

no it does not have influence. I cannot have reasonably.

>>>>>Next thing I might try is to switch off the email notification

This is a good idea.

>>>> time for 51 GB is from 38 to 43 minutes, from the screen shot.

obviously your external disk is connected at USB2 speed. It is doing compression, the CPU seems fast.

And what is the format of the external disks partition: NTFS or FAT32, just to be sure.

>>>>>- On tab VSS, I chose "Use AOMEI's built-in technique to backup without interrupting"

Windows built-in VSS should be just fine. That is, should not cause the error reasonably.

>>>My internal hard drive is a hybrid (SSD + normal hard drive) if that makes a difference.

I do not have experience, but then system backup should also fail. I would therefore exclude it.

>>>My data partition uses 219GB of space

I have done backups of this size on "Windows 8.1 Update" OS  which is essentially the same OS as Windows 10.

>>>>It did or did not check verification

verification should be unchecked..

>>>I did or did not check the source data partition.

You may check the source partition. Command is chkdsk d: (without repair), and chkdsk d: /f (with repair), where d: is the drive letter of the source data partition.

You may also check the destination partition, just to be sure.

Grey are recommendations.

"....." =in my and your non-english language, backshot to english.

• Hi Peter,

Thanks for the hint about using chkdsk.

The source partition had a couple of errors, the target partition is fine.

Both hard drives use NTFS.

To verify that this was the source of the issue, I try to the backup again now.

• Hi again,

I have good news and bad news. ;-)

The good news:

- It took several runs of chkdsk and a reboot, but my partition is now error free

- Backupper was apparently able to complete the backup as there is a 220GB file available:

- I ran chkdsk again after the backup and everything is still fine.

The bad news:

- The PXE error came up anyway at completion

- Although there is the backup file, AOMEI Backupper does not display my backup on the home page

- I tried to import the backup file by using "Home -> Import/Export...":

It had no effect. The backup is still not displayed on the home page of the Backupper.

Is there a way to get the data of the backup into the tool?

Btw, here's a screenshot of my advanced energy settings:

I cannot set it to "never switch hard disk off", but 999 minutes should be alright.

• edited May 2016

Es braucht Energiesparmodus nach ... Nie. Das ist im gewöhnlichen sogenannten Energiesparplan.

Was ist mit Email, ausgeschaltet?

>>>>Is there a way to get the data of the backup into the tool?

Ja es hat einen Pfeil-Button mit dem Hilfetext Import/Export.

>>>>It had no effect. The backup is still not displayed on the home page of the Backupper.

Versuche den Backup mit Explore (in Utilities) anzuschauen, ich befürchte Unheil. (die Sicherung als virtuelles Laufwerk laden, und im gleichen Befehl ist dann auch entladen vorhanden).

Please try Utilities->Explore. I fear it does not work, either.

Es sollte nicht abstürzen und neu booten beim Abschluss der Sicherung! PXE ist nur ein Nebeneffekt, und Du kannst PXE im firmware setup disablen, dann kommt (vermutlich) direkt No boot device.

Könnte es an speziellen Daten liegen, eventuell ein besonders sehr grosses File? (Die Partitionssicherung läuft datei-weise, ausser es wäre Sektor backup angekreuzt).

summary: I gave advice in german language.

• Energiesparmodus steht und stand auf "niemals":

Im Event-Manager sieht es so aus:

Der letzte Eintrag vom 16.05.2016 (21:03) war zu einem Zeitpunkt, zu dem gar kein Backup lief. Vielleicht liegt es gar nicht am Backupper. Die anderen sind höchstwahrscheinlich die Ausfälle während des Backups. Trotzdem merkwürdig, dass es bis kurz vor Schluss durchzulaufen scheint.

Habe mit "Explore Image" das 220GB-File gewählt und es ging wie erwartet nicht (Meldung "Beschädigt" oder "unvollständig"). Auf der Quellpartition waren danach leider wieder Chkdsk-Fehler, die zu fixen waren. Ich hoffe, ich kriege meine Daten noch irgendwie gerettet bevor der Laptop seinen Geist aufgibt.

Neuer Versuch:

• edited May 2016

>>>>bevor der Laptop seinen Geist aufgibt.  (before the laptop finally stops working).

Aha

How come such a dying computer does have a SSD+HD combo internal hard disk device?

.As the situation is serious:

I suggest simply dragging the files to the external disk, unless it is over 10'000 files or a large mass of small files. If it is just media (mp3, video, software installers and so on), a simple file copy is adequate. Perhaps it pays to do it in portions of say 50GB, portions of around one hour at USB2 speed.

In addition when the computer dies, the hard disk does not necessarily also die, it can be pulled out off the laptop and connected with an USB adapter.

event id 41 is explained here https://support.microsoft.com/de-ch/kb/2028504

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down,
    or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows
    starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut
    down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power
    Event 41 message is generated.

It tells at boot time after an unexpected shutdown, and unfortunately is not the error by itself.

• will do (xcopy my files in small packages) - thanks

• edited May 2016

why not simply drag over with the mouse? You could drag with the mouse.

For the real error, I suggest to consider a power issue, a worn out battery, or an overheating issue on an older (only USB2) laptop. Because it typically occurred in an several-hour-long operation. Of course I can't know, but a hardware-near issue seems reasonable and must be considered. OP also suggested this.

Worn-out battery can be easily checked by these symptoms: it does not take long to load to 100%, or it can't be loaded to 100% at all, and it does not hold long, it goes from say 40% to zero at once, it gets hot on charging.