Home AOMEI Products Support

Dell Inspiron 7737 new ssd drive

did the migration of my old hd to USB drive and it worked fine.Put new ssd drive in. migrated back. had trouble booting. So i migrated again, boot from my usb drive but when i go to even check the partation is created on the ssd drive, it cant even check it , error, i have not even made it active or anything yet

Comments

• edited May 2016

>>had trouble booting.

what? I don't know this exact error message. What was the message?

>>boot from my usb drive

In my opinion boot from USB drive is not possible except for Windows Enterprise.

The laptop does have Windows 8, I suggest vaguely the SSD needs to be converted to GPT, because the original HD for Windows 8 is GPT. Aomei Backupper does not change from MBR to GPT itself.

• SImple message of no boot device found, SSD does show up in setup, i can boot up from my usb drive and it goes straight into AOMEI and shows me everything, WIn10 system. BUt i think i might know my issue. way back when, dell had emergency restore partation and along with 10. and its also restoring those , i can delete them and make system the active but it still wont boot. Im going to install my HD back, do a complete backup again then try to remove all those other emergency partations

• edited May 2016

The message is understandable: "No boot device found".

1) you should first check that your ssd is GPT.

To check the ssd, do this.

boot into the USB stick, go to Utilities, go to Windows Shell Command, and type

diskpart

list disk

exit

Then see in the GPT column whether there is a * or not. Please tell.

2) >>it goes straight into AOMEI and shows me everything,

AOMEI is a brand. Which of the Aomei programs? And there are different editions, like Free, Standard Professional, Lite and so on.

computer goes straight into AOMEI PA (for example) when the stick is a bootable media and rather not from Migrating to SSD. (however I'm not sure after migrating it might pre-boot). Ordinarily windows does not boot from an OS installation, only from a Windows PE media.

It the program is AOMEI Partition Assistant, it will tell you the disk type: Basic MBR or Basic GPT of the source disk and of the SSD. Please tell.

The type (MBR or GPT) of the old HD and of the SSD must match, otherwise the SSD must be converted.

3) Is your USB drive an USB stick or an USB hard disk device.

4) you would better leave all the extra partitions untouched.

You can only set a partition active on an MBR disk, not on a GPT disk.

Consider that it might have done nothing on migrating back from USB drive/disk/stick to SSD.

• currently wiped backup drive clean, wiped ssd drive, did a full backup again off HDD.so i have AOMEI partition assitant pro v.6.0 so im about to clone the disc once again before i attemp to clear those 8 different partitions on drive c

• strike that, it failed, too many bad clusters so let me rethink this

• yep lost one of the drives i was using,just died, so strange, got to think this over. thanks for your help.thinking of just installing new ssd drive and load win7 from system restore disks abd update back

• edited May 2016

Not everything is clear, I would like to ask a few things

>>currently wiped backup "drive" clean, wiped ssd "drive"

what command was this?

--Is your USB "drive" a bootable media stick or a hard disk device?

>>>clone the disc once again

you did migrate before, not clone, isnt'it

>>>those 8 different partitions on "drive c"

you mean the 8 partitions on the "source disk"? one shouldn't remove them blindly.

Please provide a picture of the source disk, with snipping tool.

Please identifiy the source and SSD disks are GPT or MBR, it should be seen somewhere (see above message #3) The intermediary USB hard disk device is certainly MBR.

Thanks
  • ok, drive I had stored my partition died, still had drive drive and did another partition migration. Booted with thumb drive and restored partition to ssd drive. Ssd is drive c, ntfs and set active.no boot, doing this on my mobile phone, drop me a line at [email protected] and I'll drop you a pict of what I got onscreen

• edited May 2016

"No Boot Device" is quite normal on what you did. Because you migrated partition C: only and this is not what BIOS or UEFI expect. They do not boot into "boot" partition or into C: partition, but both legacy BIOS and newer UEFI boot into "system" partition, strange as it sounds. When "system" is missing, then firmwares issues said error message. "Boot device" is the firmware's language for "system" partition. The Dell Inspiron 7737 laptop computer has Windows 8, it has separate C: and system partitions, at least.

• edited May 2016

Apart from this, please identify GPT and MBR as suggested above. For the old, original HD and for the SSD. And tell here, as suggested. Reason for asking: "system" is a bit different on GPT and on MBR and does not migrate blindly (whereas C: is not different and does migrate blindly).

• back on hard drive. post from phone doesnt seem to be working    disk 1 is gpt \c:os

• Ssd drive read Mbr c:system

• edited May 2016

drive letters from the thumb drive are not relevant (it does not matter that c: is not same as in Windows).

Make sure the SSD is plugged in, not the original good HDD.

From Thumb Drive, go into Utilities, Windows Command Shell

and find which drive letter is the OS, it can be c: d: e: f: and so on, but it is not x: You find it from the contents, it has Users Program Files Windows.

that is do

dir c:\

dir d:\

and so on.

Then do

bcdboot d:\windows  /L en-US (assuming d: contains the OS, assuming your computer is US-english).

If that does not fix it, one has to convert the SSD to gpt manually. In addition cloning to the USB hard disk (MBR) and cloning back to SSD is troublesome, has to be changed. But first tell whether bcdboot would have fixed it.

If you prefer not to swap the laptop disk many times, there is the alternative of doing a disk backup using AOMEI backupper, and then restoringto the SSD. But the SSD needs to be converted to GPT. (I would have done all this in the first place, and not used migration or clone).

To understand well: on a MBR disk, not the OS (called boot) partition must be active, but the system partition (called system) must be set active. on GPT disk there are not active partitions, but there is an ESP partition.

• Command returns error " failure when attempting to copy boot files". Will continue with other onstructions, I'll do disk backup

• FYI this system was purchased with win8 and did the free upgrade

• edited May 2016

the issue is resolved in between, with the method was kind of a fourfold of a re-understanding of it, so to say, or perhaps differently. We are all happy it works now.

• edited May 2016

You should make sure the destination disk was connected to an internal interface(not a usb port). If not, the system might not be booted after the migration. But back up via Backupper and restore the OS is a good way.