Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper Pro - New Backup After X Days - Incremental Retention Options

I apologize if this has already been asked but I was struggling to find an answer through the search options on this site. I'm testing out a trial of Backupper Pro and I'm not sure how to make the program do what I want it to do. Is it possible to set up my backups as follows?:

1. Create a new full backup on the first of every month with daily incrementals to follow

2. Retain the 3 most recent sets (Full + Incrementals, roughly 30 files per set, created monthly)

3. Delete any sets older than the last 3

Comments

• Yes, you can do it.

Bu you need to create two backup task for it.

One is that do the full backup every month once.

Second is that do the incremental backup and set the scheme to save the 3 versions.

• I don't think I explained what I need very well. Let me try again.

What I really want to do is create a new incremental set every month with daily incrementals added to that set. I do see the "versions" option in the schemes but I don't know exactly what that means to the program or how new versions are created.

My goal is something like this:

April 1st - New incremental base

April 2nd - 30th - daily incrementals

May 1st - New incremental base

April 2nd - 31st - daily incrementals

June 1st - New incremental base

June 2nd - 30th - daily incrementals

July 1st - New incremental base and delete April 1st - 30th backups

July 2nd - 30th - daily incrementals

August 1st - New incremental base and delete May 1st - 31st backups

August 2nd - 31st - daily incrementals

• Yes, you can do it in this way.Please try to create new backup task.

PS: What edition you use? Standard.

• Thanks for your help. I'm using the trial of Backupper Pro right now. Your explanation makes sense as far as doing the daily incrementals with a new base image each month. That part should be working as intended now.

There is one piece that still seems to be missing though. I'd like to set it up as you mentioned but also have the option to retain the last X sets and delete any set previous to that.

I'll attach a couple of screenshots of a backup program we use at work. I'm trying to replicate these features.

• You can set it as the way we tell you. What else we can do for you?

• I'm still not sure which part of your instructions tells it to delete anything more than 3 sets (not versions) old. The closest I can see is to set versions to 30 but then it looks like it will either delete all 30 versions or nothing.

Maybe I'll just stick with the standard version and set up the rest of what I need in Windows. The standard version is still a great product. I feel that the pro version could use a few more options and maybe a rewrite of the English text as some of it is a little confusing or worded strangely.

Thank you for your help and for the great software!

• The scheme is for PRO version.You just want to save 3 backup versions, right? But you want to do the full backup once month. For this condition you need to set two backup task.

One is full backup once every month. Second is incremental backup save the 3 versions backup image.

• Not versions, sets. Let's make sure we are in agreement on what those mean to this program:

Version: Each new backup (daily incremental) would be 1 version. 3 versions would be 3 days worth of backups. After a month I'd have about 30 versions if I let it make that many.

Set: The base image and all incrementals that relate to that image. In this case 1 set would be 30 days worth of backups. Every 30 days a new set (base image and incrementals) would begin. After a year I would have a total of 12 sets.

My question was whether or not there is a way to manage sets. Let's say I have sets for January, February, and March. When the April set starts, I'd like it to delete January so that I always have 3 complete sets.

• edited April 2016

@admin something I do not understand. You recommend in #1 a separate backup job A for the monthly full backup, and a separate backup job B for the incremental with retention. How do they interact? In my opinion they do not interact, the B's are not based on the full A's. How can one choose for B that the first backup of the month is a full and the others are incrementals? Please help me to understand the discussion.

• Peter, you are right. They do not interact.

But for his situation, it will do a full backup once month.

And it continue to do the incremental backup for the second task not base on the every month full backup. User ask that retain 3 versions backup image and do once full backup every month. This is the only way to do that.

We advice fader089  to do the incremental backup with saving the 3 versions image and do a full backup hwn it delete the old versions.