Home AOMEI Products Support

SSD Won't Boot

edited March 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

As a test I backed up my 500 gig SSD to a file onto a USB 3.0 external HD, Then I created a restore USB thumb  drive, I then rebooted the PC using the flash drive, I then ran a restore back to the SSD, "no error messages" then rebooted, PC will not reboot I just get the typcical you must run a recover disk to fix the problem, I tried this several time with the same results. " I even tried "the use SSD option setting" Is there somthing you have to do when backup up a SSD or restoring to a SSD? 

The good news is since I was tersting this software I first backed it up with the Windows 8.1 built in System Image backupso I just restored it back to normal using it,

Comments

• What type of backup did you use? Disk, system or partition?

• edited March 2016

(1) Do you mind repeating the restore, and then I suggest you go into Windows Command Shell (from the USB thumb drive, Utilities) and try this command

bcdboot c:\windows /l en-US

(where c: must be the drive letter of the Windows partition. It could be different at this time. Verify running dir c: that it contains Windows and other folders. Otherwise try D: E: and so on.)

2) The SSD option is for alignment, and for a different method of writing data of all zeroes. It is not for boot problems.

(3) One catch, and failure reason, is that boot configuration data is highly not portable, not even across backup-restore situations. Non-portability is clearly documented in Microsoft TN.

And Johnny is right, one needs at least a system backup, or disk backup.

• 1, Sorry for all of that and thanks for your support.

2, We are happy you do the backup before the test.

3, For the problem you meet, it cannot be booted when you finish the restore.

Maybe you need to restore it again. 

4, if it also failed to boot, you can create the WINPE and recover the disk and system.