Home AOMEI Products Support

System restore fails Win 10

Hi Guys,

due to HW issues, my Motherboard had been replaced and I have to restore the complete system. Although I had back up a complete system Backup with aomei free backupper, I am unfortunately mit able to restore it. Here are the steps I already performed.

System Installation from scratch from Win 8.1 Factory Set up and Upgrade to Win 10.

Installation of aomei backupper

Creation of Win PE USB Media

Boot from USB and start of aomei backupper in order to restore System

Selection of system Backup file from external HDD

Selection of Partition C: for restore ( all other partitions can not be selected due to scarce Disk space)

Option of restore on different HW selected

Full successful completion restoration and restart of system

Win 10 Starts automatic repair fails and is redirecting into advanced Start menu, troubleshooting

Changing Boot order or anything else did not solve the issue

The system is Dell Inspiron with SSD and HDD, UEFI and Legacy Boot

Is there any possible solution?

Comments

• edited March 2016

Most probably the firmware settings of the motherboard are not for your restored C: but for the installation Windows 8.1+Windows 10 you did, that however is partially overwritten by restore.  bcdboot will correct this. (The UEFI firmware settings do register the exact disk GUID and exact partition GUID this has to be corrected. UEFI is not plug-and-mix-disks.)

Boot into AOMEI bootable media.

Utilities->Windows Command Shell.

bcdboot c:\windows /L de-DE

make sure c: is your SSD Windows partition (or whatever the drive letter) and not the HD, otherwise it will boot from HD if there is enough hidden system partition there.

In addition, after it boots, it is be better to erase the SSD before doing the restore again. As I understand you installed Windows 8.1+Windows 10 just to create the AOMEI usb bootable media?

diskpart

list disk

select disk # (carefully selecting the right disk # of the SSD! perhaps even temporarely disconnect HD to be sure.)

clean

convert gpt

exit

PS I assume selection of C: for restore means the target choice, not the source? This tells me that an erase of the SSD is indeed needed. (Otherwise you get an extra WinRE and or system partition, by AOMEI error)

PS optionRestore to different Hardware is not needed. It is the same motherboard type?

• edited March 2016

I just performed bcbboot on C: and additionally earsed SSD. Currently I am restoring to C: again.

Hopefully it will work this time

• edited March 2016

I just performed bcdboot on C: and additionally erased SSD. Currently I am restoring to C: again. Interessant wäre zu berichten, ob nach bcdboot, vor dem erase, tatsächlich vom SSD gestartet werden konnte. It would be interesting to report the result of bcdboot, that is did it actually boot after bcdboot but before erase?

Nach dem erneuten restore muss bcdboot natürlich erneut ausgeführt werden, after the restore-again bcdboot would be called for again.

• Nach bcdboot und erase ist das System hochgefahren, allerdings extrem langsam. Dann habe ich einen erneuten restore durchgeführt und bekomme nun allerdings die Fehlermeldung 0xc000025. Laut wmic logicaldisk gibt es nun zwei Partitionen winretools, E: und F: 

• edited March 2016

Thanks for the information I'd like to point out:

bcdboot muss nach restore ausgeführt werden.BCDBoot vor erase oder vor restore ist für nichts gut. Habe ich nie so geschrieben.

Die eine Partition WinreTools ist von Windows 8.1 und die andere von Windows 10. Die erstere ist dafür da, wenn Windows 10 downgraded auf Windows 8.1 wird. Beide sind in reagent.xml registriert wenn Du die datei findest.

boot von der SSD nach erase scheint mir unmöglich, hast Du das so gemeint.

bcdboot must be done after restore. bcdboot before erase, or before restore is good for nothing and I did not introduce bcdboot in that sequence. The second WinreTools is the old WinreTools and is needed in case of a downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1. Both are registered in Reagent.xml in case you find it.

boot from SSD after erase seems impossible did you mean it in this way?

As the WinreTools do have drive letters, their partition type guid is wrong.

diskpart (from an elevated command window)

list disk

select disk #

list partition

select partition # (where # is a WinrePartition number, type is primär, size 350 thru 500MB)

set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC

select partition # (where # is the other winre partition number)

set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC

list partition

exit

you should notice that these partitions types change from Primary/Primär to Recovery/Wiederherstellung

• Ludger ,Because the hardware is changed, so you need to use the UNIVERSAL RESTORE. We are very happy it is ok now. Thanks for all the solutions.

• now everything work well
    thanks for the great support, Peter!

• Ludger would you kindly write which of the various advices was done and helped, if at all. For other users.

• image Thanks for your guys.