Home AOMEI Products Support

Access denied to my files

Hello Forum!

I just performed a clean install of Windows 10 after I had upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10, but was not totally satisfied with the upgrade situation. Therefore I had backed up the whole drive (in German Festplattensicherung). Now, being on my clean install, I wanted to restore certain parts of my old drive, for example my pictures, my documents etc. Unfortunately I'm being told that I do not have any access. I just can't figure out how to manage these complicated settings. Apparently other people also have this problem, but I could not find any useful answers. Is there anyone who can assist me? I would really appreciate.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments

• You were able to attach the backup in explorer via Explore Image and map a drive to a letter? But no access is granted?

Try another explorer than Windows explorer. Like qdir.exe (google it) and run that as an adminstrator.

• Hey JohnnyboyGo! Nice to write with you again. I'm so grateful that you always help me out. It is really as you wrote. I took an explorer of my choice and attached the backup again. The results are like that: Windows Explorer still can't open the files. My whole user profile out of this backup is locked. But the new explorer, in this case I had chosen XYplorer, just displayys the folders without any complaint and opens the files.

Thanks a lot!

• ok. Just for the hell of it I tried it again and it tells me now also access denied. ??? I was already wondering if I really opened the backup since the folders have the same name, just that the letter is different. The new one is C and the backup opens as I. Is there an other way to test the accessibility of my backup?

• Did you run xyplorer.exe as administrator?  That is important in my experience. If you explore the backup image, you are asked to map the image to a certain letter. It will then show in xyplorer under that letter. So you may be sure that is really the backup. Look at the dates of changed files. In reality the date is today, in the backup it is older.

• Ok. That's it image I usually start all apps as administrator which I did the first time as well, right after I had downloaded it. So the first time I had explored my old backup, XYplorer was running as administrator. Since that functioned, I pinned it to the taskbar. The second time I tried to explore my backup, I opened XYplorer from the taskbar, thinking it could work again as before. Unfortunately there is no menu entry in the taskbar link to XYplorer to start it as administrator. But now that I know that everything is fine. Once again, JohnnyboyGo, thank you so much. You are great!

• Glad I could help.

B.t.w. you can make a shortcut to an exe and in the properties of that shortcut, click the button Advanced and check "Run as administrator". No when you click the shortcut, the exe is always run as administrator. You can even drag the shortcut to the taskbar.

• Thats cool. But do you also know a trick to avoid the popup to confirm that you are the administrator once you want to open the explorer? Otherwise that would be too much clicking for me image

• I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this something specific for xyplorer?

• can turn off UAC but I do not recommend.

(control panels->accounts->change UAC (or similar my computer is nonenglish).

• I always turn UAC off. UAC is in my opinion a BS setting. Do you know anyone who ever answered NO to the popup?

• Ok. I'll be able to use the menu to start it as administrator when it is really required, no problem. Now that I know. But you are right, noone would answer No image

• Sorry for the administrator problem. The software will be running without logging on the Administrator in the next version. Please give us the time. And thanks for all your guys.