Home AOMEI Products Support

Restoring with Incremental

I have a full backup and one incremental. When doing a restore it only lets me choose one image. Which do I choose?

Comments

• What is there to choose if only one is presented?

Normally you can choose the full (hence the older one) or the incremental (the newer one).

• They are both presented but unless I am misunderstanding how it works the incremental only makes an image of changes since the last full backup. I thought you somehow had to select the full plus all incremental but you can only select one.

• edited March 2016

jcgc50, you need to select the incremental backup of the time in point desired. That's how it works.  You get all items of that time point. That's how it works.

Items that did not change are taken from the previous incrementals or from the full backup. The previous incrementals and the full backup must be present by the way.

You are misunderstanding halfway. Of course backup stores just the changes, but it keeps the full directory at backup time point, and restore sticks it together.

• You just need to choose the incremental image to restore and you will get all the data.

But you must have the image before this image untill the last full backup.