Home AOMEI Products Support

New install Error 4103 repeated

edited February 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

Used Backupper before I rebuilt my Win10 system. Tried to run it for an incremental and it failed with Error 4103. Checked and had to take ownership of the target disk for backups. Tried again -- Error 4103. Reformatted the target disk and tried again. Error 4103. Uninstalled Backupper and reinstalled. Tried to back up and got 13 Gb on the target disk, but failed with Error 4103. What other troubleshooting can I do?

Comments

• edited February 2016

what is "reformatted", exactly (there are various methods to do it) Did you format in Windows, My Computer right-click on the disk, or in AOMEI partition assistant?

It should not be necessary to change to owner (security) of a volume. Is the target not-NTFS or otherwise anything special

• edited February 2016

This is a relevant thread (in german).

http://forum.chip.de/datensicherung-datenrettung/aomei-backup-afi-datei-oeffnen-1852261.html

in short it was a USB3 issue on certain mainboards, and a driver / firmware update did help. Part of the identification of the issue was to connect the disk drive to an USB2-only port.

Also suspect was the power supply.

• Hi, as for this issue.

Please check items below:

1. Check if your destination location has enough space to perform a backup.

2. Check if you have sufficient permission to read/write to the destination location.

3. Check if your destination disks have bad sectors.

4. When you are doing the backup operation, you may shut down any other threads which are accessing the directory where of this destination.

5. Please make sure you hook your external disks up.

• Thank you for responding Peter13Feb and Neo. 

1. I had to take ownership because target disk was created from before the total reinstall of Win10. So the owner was the previous admin account. With bare hardware reinstall, I had to reinstall Win10 and create new accounts.

2. I fast-reformatted the disk during troubleshooting using right click on the drive as displayed in File Explorer. I could do it in Partition Magic or other utility if you think that would be helpful.

3. I will have to evaluate whether mobo drivers have been updated, but the rebuild was only 30 days ago and I used latest drivers on manufacturer's website at that time.

4. Checked in Device Manager to see if I could update any of the USB drivers, but all claimed they were latest (although the USB3 was v1.0 which is a concern when it comes from Microsoft!). I will have to open the case to see if the external disk drive (backup target) is plugged into a USB2 or USB3 socket on the mobo. The drive is USB2, so we'll see.

4. Since I had just reformatted the target drive and it was 1 GB and the partition being backed up is 128GB used (approximately), I'm confident there is enough space.

5. I found a permissions issue during my previous troubleshooting which was why I took ownership. Since then I have written a test file, copied it and deleted it to confirm I have the effective permissions that the Security tab says I do.

6. I ran the Win10 disk sector check utility on the target drive with no errors reported.

7. Although I didn't mention it, I did shut down all threads (apps) which might have locked the target disk during my own troubleshooting efforts.

8. The external disk is hooked up since I was able to write a file, copy it and delete it.

9. NEW. During the Win10 bare hardware reinstall steps, I did re-assign the drive letter on the external drive. Any suggestions of finding out if that is the underlying problem? I saw some reference to it in AOEMI's FAQ sheet. If that's the issue, what is the solution?

I'll post again after I look into mobo driver updates and see if it helps for the external drive to be plugged in to a different socket and I'll make sure the socket is USB2. I'll visit the manufacturer's mobo site to check for driver updates, too.

• edited March 2016

3. and 4. it seems a hardware compatibilty issue, given how you describe the system.

just for information, the USB3 controller hardware is not an extension of some USB2 controller, but  requires a different driver. USB3 controller chip cannot be handled by an USB2 driver in perhaps some compatibilty mode, as would be assumed, or hoped, when an USB2 device is plugged in. Compatibility only goes so far as the USB3 socket accepts USB2 plugs. Same size and form.

It has been seen that USB2 devices do not work on USB3, or on MOBO that is in USB3 mode (even in virtual computers). You can in addition try to turn off USB3 mode. (On my virtual VMware computer in USB3 mode my game controller does not work, for example, I have to set this VM to USB2).

1. and 2. and 5. You did formatting well, with right-click, this makes the disk available to users (EveryOne). However previously your target partition seems to be a previous C:, or was formatted by AOMEI PA. They make a restricted owner of System or Administrator and one cannot freely use it. But this is not the cause of write failure.

4. 6. 7. disk space and disk defects are rarely an issue. As well as the other tasks that you cancelled. This is mainly useless. Disk defects are handled internally by the disk since long and just make it slow long before it fails. your's is 1TB USB2, it is mid-recent technology, and my statement is surely valid)

8.Backup is very large writes, it may make a difference to a small copy.

9. Drive letter is not an issue. It will be when you run incrementals and it will not findthe full backup.  Drive letter is a very non-fixed thing that cannot cause write errors.

• You can get m

imageAB Error Code 4103.doc

ore inforamtions for the 4103 from this word file.