Home AOMEI Products Support

A nightmare of errors. -- PA Pro

edited February 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

PA Pro

Moving an OS from an SSD > HD to fix an issue with a windows raid driver not loading.

Short version... It worked but for an unknown reason the disk lost all data 3 days later.

New version... got a new disk and tried again...

30 hours later 15% had moved so I cancelled the process and downloaded the latest version of the software

NOW... on boot after using the Wizzard the pre OS message appears but the boot process continues and I'm back in windows on the SSD.

???

Yani

Comments

• edited February 2016

it is reasonable to do abackup, followed by a restore, instead of a partition copy. A disk backup is better because it includes the Windows Recovery partition, however it is worse because BCD is not adjusted.

In addition UEFI firmware and Windows Boot Manager, BCD in special, do not like such operations. It needs repair when one simply restores the partitions (no matter how perfect) which repairs Windows might do or not do.

Hint: when you do a system backup, followed by system restore, AOMEI does repair the BCD (or seems to do), however UEFI firmware entries are not repaired. You can also try the command

bcdboot c:\windows, from a bootable media. This should repair the boot entries in UEFI firmware and in BCD, from a copy contained in c:\windows and known to bcdboot.

Reagentc /disable and Reagentc /enable , called in Windows, would fix the Windows Recovery Environment.

The issue is that UEFI firmware, and BCD, contain the exact partition ids (partition GUID and disk GUID) of the OS that they want to boot, and these ids are necessarily different on different disks, and are different after a partition restore or partition copy. MBR firmware is easier, it just needs an active partition, however BCD still contains exact partitions ids.

Your issue ??? when both the SSD and the HD are in the computer, firmware (be it UEFI, be it MBR) boots from wherever it wants, and BCD still points to the SSD. Need to remove the SSD and hope for boot from the HD, and hope for repair of the BCD on the HD.

• After this computer upgrade to win 10 something happened and it lost the RAID AMD driver. It is UEFI on the SSD. I can't install the driver except by doing a full reinstall of Windows which is a weeks work and I don't wanta go there.

When I did the migration from the SSD >> HD and set the Bios back to raid settings on boot the new migration on the HD went "hello let me just install the right driver". Total MAGIC.

Then the plan is to migrate back to the SSD this revised copy of windows.

So all I wanta do is what I've already done once. I think why it took so long was that I stupidly gave it the whole 3000GB drive and didn't accept the default of same size partitions.

Seems like there is either something written to the disk or in the Windows work que that is stopping all future tries. Or the update broke something.

• @Yani, is that ok for your now? You migrate the OS  from SSD to HDD,right?

You lost the data? Can you boot the system?

• Yes I'm booting from the SSD. I'm moving to the HD.

Since the update it does squat and just boots to windows.

• Then we have this gem below... this is the disk that copied off the SSD perfectly and automaticallty installed the right drivers.

Basic error checking is clean but the disk is way slow to read. It's pretty much a new disk.

Here we see a promise of 'I'll fix that' but even 6 repeats nothing is fixed and there is a circular program error of 'wait, wrong, fix and repeat'. Shame really.

• edited March 2016

Obviously E: shows defective see the unexpected error. In addition, because you mention the slow new disk, this means technically it is a defective new disk, which is slow as it requires a lot of retries. However given all the information in this thread (disk lost data, config changes in raid, slow discs, unexpected error) it is rather in the config of the Mobo.

I also noticed that your Disk 1 has two WinRE of size 450MB, and one of size 300MB, but Disk 2 has none. The first Recovery partition on Disk 1, of size 300MB, is strange, too small but could be, depending on what setup has done. The fact that the SSD has three WinRE is very strange.

It would be helpful to read all columns in the screen shot and in better resolution.

There can't be raid with just one disc? Of course raid bios can be enabled but should not influence. For reinstallation of driver one can usually simply delete the device in the device manager and it reinstalls it. No need to reinstall Windows.

Just for the record in the screen shot the SSD, disk 1, is quite positively the disk, where the operating system runs at this time. But your writing seems to assume that the OS is running on the 1TB disk, disk 2, which contains the slow drive E: and that the missing drivers were installed there.

I notice the mentioned several issues + confusions, and hardly AOMEI is the cause of the issues.