Home AOMEI Products Support

Incremental backup just made an full backup - why?

I'm testing AOMEI's Incremental backup-system, and it works fine for me. 
I started the full-backup and made a small incremental backup after the full one (the next day). But today, i can see that there is a file with the size of the full backup (25 GB). The file is numbered in following order from the previous one. 
What's happening?
Isn't the purpose of incremental backups, that it shouldnt take up a lot of space?

Regards

Rune Sommer

Comments

• edited February 2016

I had the same kind of question. The full backup was inaccessible. No answer yet: See

http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/2645/my-suggestions#Item_11

• I's a similar problem, i see. 
    I didn't even do a move or change of driveletters. I just started the incremental backup-plan two days ago and let it run it's scheduler. The full backup ~25 GB. The first incremental backup ~0,5 GB and the second incremental backup ~25 GB. No change in the system.... oh wait. 

Actually i DID make the C-partition 10 GB bigger (It's a SSD with only one active partition - the second partition is empty/nonformatted). 

Maybe the incremental backup don't like changes to .... whats it called... structurel changes on the backup-drive.
    I think i'll start over and check with the next incremental backups. 

• edited February 2016

RuneSommer ,What the backup you do System backup? Please send us the screenshot of your setting of schedule and scheme. And also send us the screenshot of the view page in proprities of advanced button.

JohnnyboyGo ,We are so sorry for the late reply, we are doing the test for your another questions.

For the full backup because you change the destination, and it cannot find the previous backup image to compare, so it does the full backup.

• @Admin, Yes I know it was a full backup. But I expected an incremental backup. There should be a warning: "Full backup not found". I think it is strange you can't see the properties (destination) when the full backup isn't found. You cannot edit, explore, check or locate. They all give an error. But a incremental or differential backup does not give an error or warning. OK, I can imagine that a scheduled backup must always take place even when the full backup isn't found, so the warning might interfere with the scheduled task, but the warning could automatic go away after 15 seconds or so.

• edited February 2016

@JohnnyboyGo ," I think it is strange you can't see the properties (destination) when the full backup isn't found. You cannot edit, explore, check or locate. They all give an error."

Sorry for that we cannot understand it clearly. Would you tell us more information.

• edited February 2016

@Admin "Sorry for that we cannot understand it clearly. Would you tell us more information."

You cannot do anything in the advanced tab if the existing (full) backup isn't found. But you can do an incremental or differential backup. At least they are called that way, but it will be a full backup.

I think at least the Properties or Edit should be available even if the prior backup wasn't found. So you can investigate and change it if necessary. The backup configuration info should be kept local and not on the backup drive/disk.    

• edited February 2016

Ok, we got it Johnny.

We will discuss with the related department. Thanks for your addtional information.

• What is the difference between “Incremental Backup" to “Differential Backup"?