Home AOMEI Products Support

Convert MBR to GPT - not enough space ?

edited February 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

Attempted to convert 900 GB SSD from MBR to GPT. The SSD has more than half of free space. It's on this drive that my OS is installed (Windows 10 x64).

I received the apop up explaining there is not enough space ??

The only solution I found on the forum is to create an unllocated space at the end. It's what I did but it does not work.

http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/1161/convert-mbr-to-gpt-not-enough-space-/p1?post#Form_Body

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• question 1) why do you want to convert at all. When Windows 10 decided to install or upgrade in MBR scheme better leave it as it is. Windows hidden partitions, and hidden information, are quite different on MBR and on GPT scheme'd disks.

question 2) What firmware do you have, UEFI or BIOS?

question3) Was the Windows10 an upgrade and from what previous version, or a fresh install?

• Hello,

I have updgraded from WIndows 8 Pro x64 to WIndows 10 Pro x64.

My Bios is UEFI.

Since the upgrade, my system is not stable anymore.

For instance, he cannot start without entering first UEFI.

My conclusion was that it was because my drive was MBR instead of GPT.

• I know that fresh install would be the best solution but I have a lot installed software that I don't want to download/install again. It's why I bought AOMEI product...

• you can try making space in front of your c: . GPT requires 260MB + 100 MB in front of C:  +perhaps 500MB for WinRE. That means reducing size of C: but at the beginning. Using AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard (or Light)

Better do any disk backups you feel necessary, in advance.

• bzoum ,We receive your email and our colleague replied you. You need to send the log in the installation directory to us. Thanks for your cooperation.