Home AOMEI Products Support

okboot.iso file - what is it?

I use One Key REcovery (super product) and have a partition on the bootdrive for OKR, however when looking over my discs today doing an irregular cleanup I found a hidden folder called c:\Aomei which contains an iso image OKBoot.

I store my OKR files on another drive and do not recall having created this file or telling OKR to create it.

Are there any suggestions what it might be for and whether I should delete it or burn it to ISO - even better USB?

Comments

• edited January 2016

But you told OKR to establish the F11 key and A key to boot into OKR. And it was used to create the OKR partition (this was done in reboot mode, you remember?) You do simply break it. And a few other ok~ and am~ files are there.

• I am not sure I undrstand what you are saying. There are no other files in this directory, only this one iso image which is 370k in size and in the main drive not on the OKR partition which is where presseing F11 would take you to should you choose that option. I have used it before and it does work.

I cannot see how an iso that is on the drive you are recoreving could be used since if you could use the drive to gain access to the iso surely that means you could gain access to the files anyway?

The dates on the file are also several months ago (created, modified and accessed all showing the same timestamp), yet I have updated the OKR recovery image several times

• edited January 2016

You are right it does not make sense at recovery time. it probably was used to create the space for the recovery partition, at creation time. Please remember it went into reboot mode for this. There are some AM files and some OK files on c:, that is on my c:. And such iso contains the X: when PE is running. From my observations. There is a same  or similar iso in the recovery partition.

• " I found a hidden folder called c:\Aomei which contains an iso image OKBoot."

When you choose the backup to th recomened loctaion, it will create a Aomei Recovery partition which contains the system image . But if you choose the other location, you need to choose the partion to create th erecovery partition and also choose the location to save the ISO image.

"I store my OKR files on another drive and do not recall having created this file or telling OKR to create it."

If you remove it to another drive, now the button F11 is not useful now.You need to do the backup again.

• There is a Aomei partition which is seperate to the main boot partition. This file is on the main partition. When I press F11 the system (I presume) uses the Aomei partition to boot up from.

I store the file that is created by One Key Recovery and on another drive and choose this recovery file when restoring the main drive and this system works 100% of the time. It is also documented by Aomei.

If I was recovering a drive then I would not want to recover a drive using files that area stored on that drive.

do you know why this file was created, then hidden - presumably by Aomei?

• edited January 2016

amldr.mbr, amldr, amcf.lst, aomei\amboot.iso

These four items are used to make C: smaller to make room for the OKR partition.

amboot.iso is deleted after use, I do no longer see it.

The  Windows Boot Manager item "AOMEI OneKey Recovery" points into these
    items, but does no longer work (amboot.iso is missing) and it is not displayed in the
    boot menu.

okldr.mbr, okldr, okcf.lst,  {recoverypartition}OneKey_PE.iso

These four items are used for the "Enter into AOMEI OneKey Recovery" item of the Windows Boot Manager (see image below).

The  first three are in C:. I tried moving them together into another
    partition, and changing BCD to point to the moved okldr.mbr, and it
    worked.

I moved them into the system partition, or into the recovery partition, and both versions worked.

Items in the {recovery partition} are ntldr, menu.lst, OneKey_PE.iso

These are used for "Press A (F11) for AOMEI OneKey Recovery". C: is not used for this.

The message is displayed from the proprietary MBR.

The above is valid for firmware BIOS, and disk layout MBR. And the recovery image is stored in the recovery partition.

It could be okboot.iso was the former name of amboot.iso. It could be it is related when the recovery image is somewhere else. It could be leftover from test or crash.

+I had an okboot.iso a few days ago (when I remember right) but cannot force it to make one now.

• When run the OneKey Recovery software, it will create the system backup image and the recovery partition wich contains the Boot ISO. And also it will create the bootable menu.

• edited January 2016

on BIOS system: the Boot Menu entry has a small part in C:, when I look at BCD of the Windows Boot Manager (see screen shot above) and from test. The F11/A method works without C:

On UEFI system: the Boot Menu entry works without C:. The BCD entry points into the bootable AOMEI recovery partition.