Home AOMEI Products Support

How to exclude hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and SystemRestorePoints from partition backups?

edited January 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

I have devided my (Windows 7 based) system on two partitions:

- C:    with the core 64bit Windows 7 system

- D:    with all the other stuff

It works fine.

I perform regularly a partition backup from my partition C: (only) to partition D:

Now I wonder on how to shrink these huge backups (~20 GB) which are already compressed with maximum.

As far as I can see: three large and UNNECSSARY files/folders are included as well:

- hiberfil.sys

- pagefile.sys

- System Volume Information folder (=System Restore Points)

Since the first two are automatically created there is no need to store them in the backup file.

And the SRPs can be omitted as well.

Is there a way to tell Aomei Data Backupper to EXCLUDE them during the backup process?

Unfortunately I found no checkbox "exclude" or similar.

Do I really have to manually disable pagefile swapping and Hibernation beforehand and delete the SRPs?

Keep in mind: I don't want to make just a simple partition backup but it MUST be a system backup so that the partition is immediately bootable after a possible restore.

Could you add such an option in the next Aomei Data Backupper release?

Thank you

Peter

Comments

• Sorry for that. If you do the system backup, it will backup all the partitions which are related with system. So it cannot exclude some files or folders. We will improve it in the future but not in the next version. Sorry again. Thanks for your understanding and support.

• normally these files are excluded from the backup (but I'm not completely sure, need to test specifically), but they do show in the list of files and must not be excluded there.

20GB is nothing wrong normally, and what is occupied space on your c:? And compression should be set to normal, not high.

• SRP are excluded when doing backup in the live Windows system. Pagefile.sys is also excluded. swapfile.sys is included. hiberfile.sys I don't know.

SRP are included when doing backup from the bootable media. Pagefile.sys was excluded when I tried OneKeyRecovery (it uses WinPE), swapfile.sys was included.

• Yes, it iwll exclude the pagefile.sys automatically.Thanks Peter.image