Home AOMEI Products Support

Information Code:2 Failed to assign a drive letter for the volume, please manually add a drive lette

I have had this error twice.  The first time I had to recover my data using data recovery tools because the partition I was moving (using Partition Assistant Standard) became RAW and I got this message.  Today, I got it again after finishing cloning one drive to a new one, both the same size (500GB).  So now I have to clone the drive again using other tools.  As a result, I find the program is untrustworthy and will not use it again.

Comments

• It fails to assign the drive letter for some reason.

You can assign it manually or using Partition Assistant to do that.

• edited March 2016

Arghhh! It happened again yesterday when I tried to re-size and slide a partiton.  This time, it got to the end of the task and gave that error message about unable to assign a drive letter.  It seems the previous "E" partition got merged with the following "F" partition.  I was able to recover the "F" partition contents using DMDE but unable to recover anything that was in the "E" partition and had to resort to my most recent backup ot "E" to recover the contents.

Here is what the partitions looked like after this debacle: http://prntscr.com/afit7a

I'll just uninstall AOMEI PA Standard to avoid such catastrophies in the future.

• @LarrySabo,

1, You lost the data? NO.

2,What the specific action you do? Move the E partition behand the F partition?

3, Whay you said that it seems the E got merged with F?

4, We check the piture, it shows that you just can see the D partition.Maybe you need to assign the E and F again.

Waiting for your reply, hope we can find the problem and solve it.

Sorry for all the inconvenience.