Home AOMEI Products Support

File Backup does not accept folder exclude criteria

I fave a file backup which backups my drive D:

I want to exclude the directory tree including and below D:\Testsets\Test1

Defining the exclude mask D:\Testsets\Test1 does not eclude the files in this directory nor all subdirectories

Defining the exclude mask D:\Testsets\Test1* does not eclude the files in this directory nor all subdirectories

Defining the exclude mask D:\Testsets\Test1\* does not eclude the files in this directory nor all subdirectories

This seems to be a bug? Or how is the correct exclude mask for that simple case.

Comments

• You only need to input the name and a * behind or beyond the folder,you do not have to input the path.

If you want to exclude the folder names 123,you only need to in put *123 or 123*.

• That does the trick, thanks for this tip

• Hello, sorry for bringing this old topic to the top, but I'm new with the backupper and I've spend a lot of time to find out how to exclude a folder.

It is working, but if there are several folders with the same name, all will be excluded. Why is it not possible to select a specific folder?

For me this is at the moment the reason NOT to buy the Pro-Version, because it is not usable for me...

• edited April 2017

Don't know about the pro version but in the standard (free) version one can also exclude files and folders through registry settings, if you wish including a drive letter.

This works for system, disk, partition and file backups.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot

Try adding some files and folders to the FilesNotToSnapshot registry entry. And yes Aomei respects those entries. So that is a convenient way to exclude files from the backup. 

e.g. 

f:\nb1\nb1.txt

f:\nb2\*.* /s

• A little bit strange to put it to the registry...

What if I have a backup strategy with different settings. For example one to a external disk to backup everything and one only for the important things (without videos for example) to save it to webspace?

This setting should be changeable for each backup-job.

• edited April 2017

Of course this registry setting is not created for or by Aomei. It is by chance that it works. So it's another option, a workaround. Take it or leave it. 

By the way, registry settings can be altered by a *.reg file or by command.

• I've hoped AOMEI is reacting to my post...

Patching the registry is not the way I want to use a backup program. I've looked to many different backup programs and AOMEI Backupper is easy to use with all the thingsI need...excepting the folder/file exclusion.

So I won't pay money for a full version and use the free version (with moving the folders before and after backup)...

• Why would there be several folders with the same name? Are they in different paths?

• edited April 2017

I want to backup the folder "photo&video", but I want to exclude the subfolder "fun\video"...

How should I do?

If I use the AOMEI-logic, all "video"-subfolders will be excluded.

Why don't you use checkboxes in the folder-view to check or uncheck files and folders (you use check-boxes on restore)? For example...in my screenshot I check "photo&video" and all subfolders are checked automatically (complete tree will be backuped) and then I can uncheck the folders (or files) which I want to exclude.

This is how I expect such a function should work.

• OK, the only option is to add these 3 folders(fun, holiday, work) one by one, and then exclude the subfolder "fun\video".

• edited May 2017

This was just a simple example.

In my real folder structure it is more complex. So, if there is no other way to do, I have to look for another product to do.
    There is no benefit by buying the Pro-Version for me. It's a pity. The program looks and works great in all other functions...

• We will improve this feature, thanks for your feedback.

• This issue does not yet appear to have been improved.  I am running the current version and it still does not honor the folder exclusion lists.  I have used spaces embedded in the file names, for example z:\Windows Backups\ 
  • edited October 2022
    This issue still prevails in today's version.

When are you going to allow selection of specific folders?

Seriously, you would just need to allow the following exclusion mask format: 
    /FolderToExclude

As others have said, if you have the folder name multiple times in your structure, you cannot use *FolderToExclude, as this excludes every folder with this name in your complete project.

This is severely limiting. I would appreciate if you'd finally consider this to be an important option.